well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Sleep on your side, eat fish, and have a glass of wine

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sleep on your side, eat fish, and have a glass of wine
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease, is the most common form of motor neuron disease. People with ALS progressively lose the ability to initiate and control muscle movements, including the ability to speak, swallow and breathe.

There is no known cure. But recently, we studied mice and identified a new target in the fight against this devastating disease: the brain’s waste clearance system.

Neurodegenerative diseases – including Parkinson’s disease, Alzheimer’s and multiple sclerosis – share many similarities, even though their clinical symptoms and disease progression may look very different. The incidence of these diseases increase with age. They are progressive and relentless, and result in gradual loss of brain tissue. We also see waste proteins accumulate in the brain.

Our new research looked at how the glymphatic system, which removes waste from the brain, could prevent ALS.

https://theconversation.com/on...ases-like-als-181954

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I've heard before that the channels for clearance of waste narrow when you're awake and widen when you are asleep. A nap serves the same short-term function of flushing the system, I've read.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Had baked salmon for dinner, just downed a glass of 2014 Malbec, now the only thing left is to sleep on my side. Big Grin

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12692 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
I've heard before that the channels for clearance of waste narrow when you're awake and widen when you are asleep. A nap serves the same short-term function of flushing the system, I've read.
If that holds I'm in good shape. Lots of naps and fish, plenty of wine and I am a side sleeper.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13558 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
I can’t do the wine (and I am willing to bet that the wine had a lot to do with how bad my Dad’s dementia was at the end). But I can do the fish and the side sleeping.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20460 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I am going to have to teach myself to like fish more. I never think to have it, either at home or at a restaurant.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Like Jodi, I'm only too happy to comply with all but the wine--and the wine ban is temporary. Smiler

Steve, for me the difference between grilled fish and any other preparation is remarkable. You might like grilled better than poached, steamed, or whatever. Not all fish can be easily grilled, though. It needs to be strong enough to not fall apart. Around here, grilled salmon is a weekly treat. Grilled catfish is also amazingly good, and it's far cheaper than salmon or most other fish for that matter. I've never grilled cod but it should definitely be grillable in terms of its structural integrity.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post