well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    getting married
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

getting married
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Frost:
Third time for both of us.

A charm!

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33801 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Came upon this old thread somewhat randomly today. It made me stop and think about this wonderful little community we all share. Martha and I are closing in on our fifth anniversary and continue to be a great match. Her adult daughter Alyssa lives with us and my three kids, their spouses, and my four grandkids visit often.

Much as have loved Maine, I’m getting tired of the winter cold now that I don’t ski any more. Any snowbirds out there? (Which is what we Mainers call people who winter in a warmer place)

J

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17682 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
Amazing how time passes - happy for you both - and yeah, cold is getting old though I do like a change of seasons.

Still, it would be hard for us to consider wintering elsewhere. Both of us are homebodies - we treasure the world we have here - friends, pianos, music, art, books, the world we've built.

Taking a trip for a couple weeks to some sunshine is good - but whenever we're away, we're happiest returning to our world here.

Posts: 9598 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Much as have loved Maine, I’m getting tired of the winter cold now that I don’t ski any more. Any snowbirds out there? (Which is what we Mainers call people who winter in a warmer place)

we have similar ambivalence about Montana winters. We are still very active, but definitely looking down the barrel of the infirmities of late old age. We nearly headed to Arizona for the month of December--found a super nice AirBnb that has horse trails and stalls, and allows dogs--but in the end we canceled because we are so deeply entrenched in our routines here, and I didn't want to disrupt my work with everything that goes into planning to be gone for so long, and the challenges of doing that with animals, not to mention an extremely mild winter was forecast (and so far is proving to be correct).

I think the biggest disincentive for me is the semiannual planning and organizing and picking up and moving. I'm not a planner. I like to do things spur of the moment. And I like to keep my life as simple as possible. I find preparations for something like this to be very stressful, and I have pretty much used up my ability to absorb stress for this lifetime.

For us it may make more sense to just travel for a month or two during the winter and maybe through those travels discover another geography we could fall in love with as much as Montana. Then make a (last) move to live somewhere warmer year around.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21353 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Came upon this old thread somewhat randomly today. It made me stop and think about this wonderful little community we all share.

Same here.

This group is pretty special.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37970 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you resurrected this thread, Jack. I'd missed your original announcement.

Congratulations on the first five years and best wishes for many more.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7420 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
A week or two in a warm place can go a long way to get one through the winter. A Florida resort we have enjoyed in the past is Tween Waters in Captiva. Key West is always fun.

Miami I can do without.

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17682 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Came upon this old thread somewhat randomly today. It made me stop and think about this wonderful little community we all share. Martha and I are closing in on our fifth anniversary and continue to be a great match. Her adult daughter Alyssa lives with us and my three kids, their spouses, and my four grandkids visit often.

J

Time really does go by all too fast ...

Happy fifth!

Posts: 12550 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
We're the only people I know who keep migrating northward. Our "snowbird" location is now in Vancouver, BC. Big Grin

Happy anniversary!

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post