well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    "The weird worship of one dude"

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"The weird worship of one dude"
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
In the span of five minutes Thursday, Ben Sasse may have torched whatever relationship he still had with the Republican Party in his home state.

But in releasing his direct-to-camera video deriding a brand of politics animated by “the weird worship of one dude,” Sasse also seized a piece of political real estate that might yet have some value if the Nebraska senator runs for president in 2024.

At the moment, those occupying the anti-Donald Trump lane in the post-Trump GOP are in danger of being run over. But in the event the party’s fervor for the former president fades to any degree, or there is a rethinking of Trump’s behavior in office, Sasse may be better positioned than anyone to capitalize.

His video ricocheted around the Republican universe on Thursday night and Friday not because it was critical of Trump — as Sasse and other traditionalists have been before — but because it so directly challenged Trump’s most ardent supporters.

"Political addicts don't represent most Nebraska conservatives."

"We're going to have to choose between conservatism and madness."

https://www.politico.com/news/...en-sasse-2024-466424

https://www.youtube.com/watch?...nel=SasseforNebraska

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Gotta be a new verb .. to Sasse your party!

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Wow! Republican doesn't have to mean "crazy".

Heartening.

That is, unless expressing his views does indeed, as wtg says, mean his political death.

How wonderful if it doesn't!
If someone like him (admitting I don't know all his views), ran for president he'd certainly give most Dems who just ran for POTUS a run for their money.

(Wondering about Nebraska as a retirement destination...)

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Interview is from January.

quote:
Sen. Ben Sasse said in an interview on Friday that President Donald Trump was “delighted” by Wednesday's chaos in Washington D.C. that saw rioters battle with law enforcement as they busted into the Capitol building and ransacked it.

“As this was unfolding on television, Donald Trump was walking around the White House confused about why other people on his team weren’t as excited as he was as you had rioters pushing against Capitol Police trying to get into the building,” Sasse told interviewer Hugh Hewitt. “He was delighted.”

quote:
Hewitt asked Sasse, a Republican, if he thought Trump intended for the riot to happen.

“I think Donald Trump wanted there to be massive divisions, and he was telling people there was a path by which he was going to stay in office after January 20th. That was never true. And he wanted chaos on television. I don’t have any idea what was in his heart about what he wanted to happen once they were in the Capitol, but he wanted there to be chaos."

Later in the interview, Sasse added, “This is a part of a pattern. The guy is addicted to division. This is a deep brokenness in his soul. You and I have talked about it multiple times. Donald Trump is a guy who hurts.”

https://www.3newsnow.com/news/...the-chaos-at-capitol

Transcript of the Hugh Hewitt interview:

https://hughhewitt.com/senator...the-gop-in-minority/

quote:
I think Donald Trump wanted there to be massive divisions, and he was telling people there was a path by which he was going to stay in office after January 20th. That was never true. And he wanted chaos on television. I don’t have any idea what was in his heart about what he wanted to happen once they were in the Capitol, but he wanted there to be chaos, and I’m sure you’ve also had conversations with other senior White House officials, as I have.

HH: I have.

BS: As this was unfolding on television, Donald Trump was walking around the White House confused about why other people on his team weren’t as excited as he was as you had rioters pushing against Capitol Police trying to get into the building.

quote:
BS: The Republican National Committee is not a healthy organization. As you know, in the 2016 campaign, I campaigned for almost everybody not named Donald Trump. And it became pretty clear that the RNC as a structure was, you know, akin to a fueled up 747 sitting on a runway that could be hijacked by almost anybody with a big brand. And that’s what happened. And I’ve made it pretty clear that I think it’s pretty dangerous for the party of Lincoln and Reagan to become a party of, you know, a lot of QAnon nonsense and a lot of TV obsession and a lot of narcissistic trolling. Our party needs to be bigger than one personality, and I hope that the Republican National Committee is thinking hard about how we serve our kids by trying to put forward an argument that can speak to 70%, and frankly that could speak to 90% of America. And right now, we don’t do that. I mean, you saw that in Georgia.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post