well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    UMinn Was Afraid of Giving Tenure to Too Many Women of Color

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UMinn Was Afraid of Giving Tenure to Too Many Women of Color
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted

Posts: 45778 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Malwarebytes blocks that website due to "PUPs". Confused

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 35009 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
The University of Minnesota reached a $200,000 settlement this year with an African-American instructor who alleged she was denied a tenured position because the education college had just promoted another woman of color.

A tenured professor at the University of Illinois at Chicago, Yolanda Majors joined the U’s College of Education and Human Development in 2011.

Majors said Dean Jean Quam wanted to hire her as a tenured professor but decided to wait a year on the tenure decision because another woman of color, Nina Asher, had just been made chair of curriculum and instruction.

“Dean Quam stated that she feared push back from the faculty for her decision to hire Dr. Asher and that because of this she was reluctant to present (Majors) to the faculty due to the fact that Dr. Majors was also a woman of color,” Majors told the court.

ajors accepted a temporary appointment as a non-tenured visiting professor. But a year later, she was told she’d need to publish more to be considered for a tenured position.

Majors said in an interview Thursday that she published a book and wrote three articles. But Quam told her in June 2013 that she no longer was being considered for a tenured position.

“I’m still waiting for them to tell me what it looks like to be as good as a white man,” Majors said.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I don't know why it's blocked, it appears to be a newspaper site.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Interesting article. Hard to believe this happens in this day and age.

The PUPs thing appears to be the fault of the overzealous use of data harvesting. Surprised the paper would do that.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 35009 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Surprised the paper would do that.

Based on websites for local papers around here, I have the impression that smaller newspapers actually do that a lot. That's probably how they pay their bills. Frowner

As for the original topic, I don't understand what goes through people's heads. >_<

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18615 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised that it was documented. OK, not that surprised. People are stupid and don't always know when to stop talking.

Posts: 35388 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
When institutions solve for a particular ethnic mix in their hiring then individuals will be discriminated against. It's tautologically true.

As Chief Justice Roberts once said, the way to end racial discrimination is to stop discriminating by race.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33808 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
That's a little bit like saying, hey, I know you have underdeveloped leg muscles, because we made sure you weren't fed properly or given a chance for regular exercise. But now it's time to run a race, and the only fair way is to put everyone in the starting blocks and may the best person win.

There's a reason why affirmative action has been and continues to be necessary. We all hope for a time when it will be unnecessary, but that time is not now.

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
What Quirt said.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18615 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
That's a little bit like saying....

No, it's not at all like saying that. I made the simple factual statement that hiring to achieve an ethnic balance requires discrimination.

Your post is more of a normative statement expressing the opinion that sometimes discrimination based on ethnicity is justified.

Really the two posts are totally orthogonal.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33808 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
That's a little bit like saying....

No, it's not at all like saying that. I made the simple factual statement that hiring to achieve an ethnic balance requires discrimination.

Your post is more of a normative statement expressing the opinion that sometimes discrimination based on ethnicity is justified.

Really the two posts are totally orthogonal.

Your post had a clear implication. I was disputing that implication.

If you truly do not understand how a reasonable person could see that implication, try this:

quote:
As Chief Justice Roberts once said, the way to end racial discrimination is to stop discriminating by race.

If you disagree with the implication, you should say so, rather than hiding behind "I didn't use those words".

The failure to disavow the clear implication itself has an implication.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
It is illegal to hire based on race. Full stop.

Posts: 35388 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
It is illegal to hire based on race. Full stop.

Is it illegal to use race as a consideration?

I don't think so.

After all, isn't affirmative action still viable in some contexts?

https://ballotpedia.org/Federa...-discrimination_laws

So maybe not full stop.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Hey, Nina, a federal judge just upheld Harvard's race-conscious admissions policy.

quote:
Federal District Court Judge Allison D. Burroughs issued her decision Tuesday, saying that "Harvard's admission program passes constitutional muster" and that "ensuring diversity at Harvard relies, in part, on race conscious admissions."

The plaintiff, advocacy group Students for Fair Admissions (SFFA), has accused Harvard of discriminating against Asian-American applicants. It argued the school considers race too much, forcing Asian-Americans to meet a higher bar to get in.

https://www.npr.org/2019/10/01...d-in-admissions-case

And there is this, in the last sentence of the article:

quote:
Harvard is among a large group of selective schools that consider race as one factor in admissions

I recognize that that isn't the same as a hiring decision, and there are additional factors at play in college admissions (the desire to create a sufficiently diverse student body), but it's analogous.