well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    When you need a cop but pretend to order pizza

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When you need a cop but pretend to order pizza
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
An Ohio police dispatcher is being lauded for recognizing that a woman who called 911 — and ordered a pizza — was actually trying to report a domestic violence incident.

Mike Navarre, the chief of police in Oregon, Ohio, was driving home on Nov. 13, and listening to dispatches, as he often does, when he heard a curious call.

"I would like to order a pizza," the 911 caller said, giving a residential address.

"You called 911 to order a pizza" the dispatcher, Tim Teneyck, questioned.

"Yeah," the woman responded, giving an apartment number.

"This is the wrong number to order a pizza," Teneyck said.

"No, no, no, no ... you’re not understanding," the caller said.

Teneyck cut her off: "I’m getting you now, OK. ... The guy still there?"

"Yeah, I need a large pizza," the caller said, before specifying pepperoni.

Rest of story:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/u...ng-domestic-n1089636

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 38010 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Cool, though as this tactic becomes better known it might lose its utility.

This is one of those "advantage humans" situations that would zoom right over "the head" of a literal-minded computer... the capacity to communicate through cues, in this case through split sentences where the first word is relevant and the remaining words aren't.

Posts: 12573 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post