well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Tequila is having a moment

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tequila is having a moment
 Login/Join

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted
Tequila is not something I am crazy about but the market has really exploded.

I walked into our local “superstore” liquor/wine place (in NJ just over the bridge) recently, and their tequila/mezcal section, once the size of a modest bookcase, now takes up half of a long supermarket aisle. Some of it is big producers, some are just fancy-looking bottles, but more interesting are the growing number of small artisan makers. People going back to small-batch, old-fashioned methods and trying to aim for best quality and local terroir.

I was also intrigued by this article on blanco tequilas in The Wirecutter (NY Times feature) that captivatingly described some new offerings. I am skeptical of a lot of reviews, but this woman seems to really know her stuff and goes into some depth.

So I bought one of those recommended and it’s really good. I can taste the difference. And it doesn’t mess up my head, as some do. I’m intrigued.

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13818 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I started learning about tequila/mezcal a few years ago in Santa Fe. Many places there hold tastings of the artisanal makers. Quite fun.

Posts: 12547 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Doesn’t mess up your head? Isn’t that the point of it?

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17681 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack Frost:
Doesn’t mess up your head? Isn’t that the point of it?

He's just not drinking enough of it.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13564 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I got really sick on tequila in high school and never drank it again.

Maybe I should try it.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34976 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
I got really sick on tequila in high school and never drank it again.

Maybe I should try it.

There’s your problem. What was available back then was Jose Cuervo, which was (probably still is) a blend of agave and who-knows-what. You have to get pure 100% agave. Just as a starting point.

Jose Cuervo launched a thousand illnesses.

(Of course, one has to monitor consumption too.)

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13818 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Is (was) Cuervo the crap with the worm?

Posts: 12547 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
Is (was) Cuervo the crap with the worm?

No, that’s mezcal. And like Cuervo, there was only one brand available for decades…the one with the worm.

(The worm…caterpillar…is not a required ingredient.)