well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Indiscriminate Reading

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Indiscriminate Reading
 Login/Join

Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted
This is just a weird story that I find fascinating... my mom told me this tonight and I am just floored.

My uncle is a blue collar, no nonsense kind of guy. He worked at a factory for his whole adult life and retired a few years ago. He spends three months a year at a rustic cottage in northern Ontario. He’s very quiet, and definitely wouldn’t stand out in a crowd. I knew he was a reader. He doesn’t talk about books, but he always has one with him. I found out from my mom that he reads completely indiscriminately. He simply doesn’t care what he reads. So when he moved to the town I grew up in (a little over 20 years ago) he walked into the public library and pulled the first dozen books he found on the adult fiction shelf, starting with the A’s. And he took them home and read them. Each week or so he returns to the library and gets the next set of books on the shelf. Once the librarians got to know him, they started pulling the books for him. He takes out 30 at a time - always the next 30 or so on the shelf. When they get new books in that he would have previously read according to his progress through the shelves, they add them to his pile.

He is currently on the S’s.

I have never heard of someone reading so haphazardly. He literally just opens the next book in the stack and starts reading. If non fiction books get mis-shelved in the fiction section, he reads them. Once a cookbook ended up in his pile. He read it cover to cover. He never abandons a book. He has no opinion on which author or genre he prefers. He just reads.

--------------------------------
"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4091 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Wow, that is fascinating. Does he have super concentration powers? A complete openness to any and all new ideas? I wonder what the necessary dispositional components are that would be needed to do this kind of reading? Whatever they are, I’m sure I don’t have them!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18470 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of LL
posted Hide Post
Imagine how much he would know, if he only read non fiction!

The earth laughs in flowers

Posts: 16320 | Location: north of boston | Registered: 16 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
This makes me wonder if he's reading for content, or just reading for the act of reading. Like reading the back of the cereal box

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
John Cage would have loved this story.

In one of his books, he writes about a woman waiting in line to buy a train ticket. She asked the person in front of her where he was going. He mentioned some town in Ohio. She bought a ticket there and lives there to this day.

Chance operations.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
John Cage would have loved this story.

In one of his books, he writes about a woman waiting in line to buy a train ticket. She asked the person in front of her where he was going. He mentioned some town in Ohio. She bought a ticket there and lives there to this day.

Chance operations.

What a great story! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34945 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
This makes me wonder if he's reading for content, or just reading for the act of reading. Like reading the back of the cereal box

I have no idea. I know he retains what he’s read as he can tell within a few pages if he’s read it before. He also will sometimes comment to another person that he’s read the book they are reading (which is hilarious when it’s a bodice-ripper, because he doesn’t fit the stereotypical audience).

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4091 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
That's remarkable.

People are so interesting!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37897 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post