well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The Most Consequential Tech in the World

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Most Consequential Tech in the World
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
It’s YouTube, and as tech sites go it seems to be pretty well run. I use it pretty much every day for music, how-to, cooking lessons, history, road races, and reruns of Antiques Roadshow. Smiler

Commenters lament the increasing number of ads. I pay for YouTube premium and don’t see them, but even sitting through the ads is very small price to pay for the wealth of content available -content not available anywhere else. I like the fact ads revenues are shared with the content creators.

Your thoughts?

YouTube

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34979 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I tend to agree. Especially for a musician like myself, the resource is staggering. Twenty years ago, if you wanted to hear rare recordings of master musicians from 100 years ago, or obscure music, you had to get to a rare-music archive or be a collector yourself. Now it’s all on YouTube, and enthusiasts post old recordings previously not known to exist!

My only gripe is that any TomDickHarry can post a living artist’s recording, and the $ proceeds go to that person, not the artist.

As for how-to videos, there’s no place better.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13818 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I largely agree as well

I do notice that content is sometimes taken down because the copyright owner objected, but I'm not at all familiar with how that process works or how effective it might be.

My biggest concern is misinformation or disinformation. When I watch how-to content, I often look at several videos and then have to judge who is really knowledgable.

I also wonder if I could find a more efficient search algorithm for topics that may interest me. The suggestion bar seems to focus on the general category I'm currently watching. A little more variety would be welcome. I've taken to sometimes subscribing to a creator, not because I just want to see their latest product, but because it gives me a jumping-off point for similar content.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7420 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I sing in two choirs and can almost always find decent recording of our pieces to learn. Sometimes there are even practice tracks with my part highlighted. I create a playlist and can then listen over and over...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7557 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
I sing in two choirs and can almost always find decent recording of our pieces to learn. Sometimes there are even practice tracks with my part highlighted. I create a playlist and can then listen over and over...

I find this very helpful, too!

I post video knitting tutorials on YouTube. It’s an easy way to hold content online. And knitters find me that way, too.

If I’m looking for a tutorial to learn something, I’ll look at several and decide which one makes the most sense.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9802 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post