well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Record speed.

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Record speed.
 Login/Join

Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted

Posts: 13638 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
The cutting process accounts for the difference in speed. If you draw an angle out from the center of the record, the space within the angle will contain the same amount of information regardless whether on the edge of the record or near the center. The information gets packed closer together as you move towards the center. You're welcome.

--------------------------------
http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10579 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Aaaaaccckkkk!

Thank you, Bernard. You saved me from a sleepless night.
Poor Calvin

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25741 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Bernard!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9812 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Ouch.

Posts: 24841 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bernard:
The cutting process accounts for the difference in speed. If you draw an angle out from the center of the record, the space within the angle will contain the same amount of information regardless whether on the edge of the record or near the center. The information gets packed closer together as you move towards the center. You're welcome.
It's a practice that the computer storage industry changed as they developed techniques to cramp more data onto disks (floppy and hard and compact and digital video disks alike). Many disk-based data storage systems read/write data at different rates depending on how far the data tracks are away from the center of the disks so as to keep the data density less varied throughout the usable surface of the disks. (See, for example, "zone bit recording.)

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12705 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
quote:
It's a practice that the computer storage industry changed as they developed techniques to cramp more data onto disks (floppy and hard and compact and digital video disks alike). Many disk-based data storage systems read/write data at different rates depending on how far the data tracks are away from the center of the disks so as to keep the data density less varied throughout the usable surface of the disks. (See, for example, "zone bit recording.)

Another interesting tidbit: CDs read from the center to the outside, the opposite of records.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10579 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Another interesting tidbit: CDs read from the center to the outside, the opposite of records.

aacckk ... and I was doing so well.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25741 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
quote:
quote:
quote:

aacckk ... and I was doing so well.
...and CDs record at a constant linear rate so the rotational speed changes as the read head moves from the center toward the outside of the disk.

If I recall correctly, a CD is recorded in a series of concentric tracks, not a continuous track like a vinyl record. This allows faster indexing -- finding the beginning of the next song when you hit the next button.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30039 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
How many Gen Z people even know what a record is ...

Posts: 12578 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
My "millennial" daughters love vinyl records. I don't think they are going away any time soon. It is so freaking cool to pick up a 60+ year old piece of technology or a recording from the 1920s or even the young Caruso recordings I have from 1901-1903, all of which were recorded acoustically! No electronics. Before the invention of the electronic microphone, and it instantly and simply works even with the latest and greatest advancements in technology.

IOW, what was thought to be obsolete, never even got close to becoming obsolete. How did the high end analog world even survive??? lol

Posts: 13638 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I don't think they're going away.

Posts: 24841 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post