well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Why you need a second kitchen
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why you need a second kitchen
 Login/Join

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted
Because you can’t have your guests looking at dirty dishes in the sink when they’ve gathered for wine and crudités.

I must admit The NY Times bugs me when they promote **** like this.

The Back Kitchen

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13818 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I can't read this but maybe the concept of a dishwasher is new to them.

Posts: 24732 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Forum Frequenter
Picture of AD
posted Hide Post
Blush
I can't read the article either, so am assuming this is all about the current trend of gathering in the kitchen around an Island to talk to the hosts as they prepare & serve food, rather than being in a dining room/living room/sitting room. And also open plan houses provide a good space for parties but they also encourage guests to wander.

If they are that much of a picky complaining snob, you need to reassess your friendship; if you are that much of a snob to worry, you need to buy a bigger house & employ servants Wink

Daniel, we found a dishwasher can be smelly unless you use it least daily. Their efficiency seems to depend on how many dirty plates etc you produce. Even with two kids it often took 2-3 days to fill. So when it eventually failed we decided not replace it, and frankly did not miss it at all.
We are not having one in our new kitchen, to be installed in a fortnight. The plan is for double and single Belfast sinks (and a third from the original kitchen moved to the utility) and guests will simply have to suffer the ghastly sight Big Grin .

Every morrning the soul is once again as good as new, and again one offers if to one's brothers and sisters in life.

Posts: 385 | Location: Land of the Prince Bishops | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
AD, I don't even have a dishwasher let alone two kitchens. Lol.

Forum Frequenter
Picture of AD
posted Hide Post
LOL, yes, and what's wrong with washing up anyway I ask? If guests don't like the sight I'd be delighted if they offer to help out.

The most irritating thing with a dishwasher was having to pre-wash some things. And the wife discussing the correct way to stack things. And checking if the magic had worked on every single piece of cutlery before putting them away.
Don't save time, or water, or electricity, or space...
Leaving

Every morrning the soul is once again as good as new, and again one offers if to one's brothers and sisters in life.

Posts: 385 | Location: Land of the Prince Bishops | Registered: 27 November 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
the current trend of gathering in the kitchen around an Island to talk to the hosts as they prepare & serve food

Current trend? I was doing that 40 years ago. Every party ended in the kitchen. I guess I was ahead of my time.

Posts: 45756 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
The most irritating thing with a dishwasher was having to pre-wash some things. And the wife discussing the correct way to stack things. And checking if the magic had worked on every single piece of cutlery before putting them away.
Don't save time, or water, or electricity, or space...

Mary Anna and I have different dishwasher habits. I never, ever use it, I'd rather wash dishes by hand. (And I do, it's not as if I don't do my part.) Mary Anna would prefer to use the dishwasher.

Posts: 45756 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Sorry I didn't think of providing quotes from the article:

Back kitchens come with as many names as they do appliances: the dirty kitchen, the messy kitchen, the prep kitchen, the working kitchen and the scullery kitchen, to name a few. These auxiliary spaces reinvent the humble pantry as the hardworking engine of the house. With the dirty work happening offstage, the main kitchen can shine, an immaculate centerpiece to be marveled, not sullied by spaghetti sauce and sheet pans.

“I like a place that, quite frankly, looks like it’s not lived in,” said Ms. Moss, a co-founder and board member of Versapay, a financial technology company. Mr. Moss, 49, is the president and chief executive of a medical testing lab in Indianapolis.

In 2017, the Barrys, who own a luxury vacation rental company, spent $2 million renovating their 5,000-square-foot home on the Jersey Shore, removing a second staircase to make room for the back kitchen, which they call the “messy kitchen.” They call the front kitchen, which opens to the dining area and overlooks the water, the “pretty kitchen.” The pretty kitchen has an island with a waterfall countertop, sleek cabinets and a gas range. The messy one has a second refrigerator, a second dishwasher, an electric range, a microwave and all the countertop appliances. The property is listed for $5.5 million.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13818 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
https://www.thespruce.com/does...y-save-water-5218699

We run the dishwasher every night - even for just a few dishes. It is a new model(but not high-end) and we just "scrape and load" and never have problems with things not getting clean.

The newer models have longer runtimes to get things cleaner and use less energy - I think it is something to do with "soak and rest" cycles...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7557 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rontuner:
https://www.thespruce.com/does...y-save-water-5218699

We run the dishwasher every night - even for just a few dishes. It is a new model(but not high-end) and we just "scrape and load" and never have problems with things not getting clean.

The newer models have longer runtimes to get things cleaner and use less energy - I think it is something to do with "soak and rest" cycles...

Same. We put everything in it, too, other than cooking knives and cast iron.

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4098 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
The scullery kitchen?

I like a kitchen that sparkles and does nothing?

Wow.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
(tech aside)...using Reader View/Mode in your browser often allows you to read articles behind a paywall...

https://www.maketecheasier.com...browser-reader-mode/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37970 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I find it interesting that the online version is not accepting reader comments. I wonder why.

Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
This is just silly. Why would any guests ever go downstairs where the kitchen is?

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
We have one kitchen. It’s a small galley style kitchen. I don’t want people congregating in it; it’s a one-butt kitchen. (Maybe two, if you know what you’re doing.)

The dining room is right next to it, and people can gather there for hors d’oeuvres and wine (crudités & tequila, Dr Oz?).

People who want a kitchen that sparkles and does nothing have too much money.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post