well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Liquor License? REVOKED!
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Liquor License? REVOKED!
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Cool Cool

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
If the club’s liquor license is revoked, that would be a blow for the Colts Neck course, located near the Jersey Shore. The club could lose significant revenue from the two restaurants and a bar it operates for members, and find it hard to attract banquets or golf tournaments from outsiders.

But for Trump, the potential damage is greater than that.

Under New Jersey law, anyone who has one liquor license revoked must also give up all their other liquor licenses for two years. Trump has two other New Jersey golf clubs, including one in Bedminster that he uses as a summer White House.

Now, he could be faced with losing a key source of revenue at those clubs, too.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
This can’t be how we do things and remain a functioning society. We call this Banana Republic behavior when Trump does or attempts it. It’s banana republic behavior when the Dems do it too.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Do other bars in Jersey lose their licenses when the overserve?

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The article says it's a rare occurrence for this to happen. edit: And also says there were "aggravating circumstances".

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
This can’t be how we do things and remain a functioning society. We call this Banana Republic behavior when Trump does or attempts it. It’s banana republic behavior when the Dems do it too.
Yep. This is something that happens with some regularity and has nothing at all to do with Trump. He doesn't tend bar or manage his golf clubs. It distresses me to see glee at the prospect of a personal misfortune. It's very low class.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13560 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Interesting. I read jon's comment to refer to the Democratic NJ AG pursuing a rare case (it doesn't seem to be a regular occurence, according to the original article) against Trump, aka political retribution.

so jon, which is it?

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Right. I didn’t sense that Mik got some other interpretation from my post.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
This is like Trump trying to increase Amazon’s postal rates because of coverage in WaPo, or trying to block the TW merger because of CNN.

We need to be against this on principle. Not ok with it or not depending on the target.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
OK. I was just surprised to see the comment about glee being low class. Seemed unnecessary and below the belt, especially considering what I've read elsewhere that has gone by unremarked. Your comment was made at a more general level, and I agree with you.

Not an excuse by any means, but far worse is said by Trump himself, and all I hear are crickets. The example is being set from the top.

Again, not an excuse, just an observation.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
No, I got what you meant and added my own feelings about it.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13560 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is like Trump trying to increase Amazon’s postal rates because of coverage in WaPo, or trying to block the TW merger because of CNN.

We need to be against this on principle. Not ok with it or not depending on the target.

I agree with that as an ethical principle.

However, there is an old saying: to get a mule to do something, first, hit it between the eyes with a 2x4.

Trump needs to understand that there are consequences to using discretionary power for personal reasons, in a manner that busts through norms. He may never get that, and he may never understand the correlation between his own abuses and the ones that he is subject to, but nevertheless it is important to make the point to him.

Speaking solely about myself now, I have a tendency to operate on a "sauce for the goose" principle. I'll sink to whatever level my opponent decides to sink. I'll fight on their terms, if that's what they want. But I will not fight by a more principled set of rules while watching someone else throwing repeated low blows.

That, of course, conflicts with the ethical principle with which I just started.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
quote:
Yep. This is something that happens with some regularity and has nothing at all to do with Trump. He doesn't tend bar or manage his golf clubs. It distresses me to see glee at the prospect of a personal misfortune. It's very low class.

There's nothing admirable about schadenfreude, but it's a normal human reaction sometimes.

And I disagree that it has nothing to do with Trump. It happened before Trump began to run for President, but not with the frequency and amplitude and vitriol with which it currently happens. And I attribute that to Trump. He's accelerated the national decline.

Quirt, proud to be human scum.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:

Except somebody died. That part is different.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post