well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Liquor License? REVOKED!
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Liquor License? REVOKED!
 Login/Join

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Hmmm. I am just reading this thread aid didn't find any "glee" in reporting the news. The fact is that Trump will suffer harm if his golf club closes, and more harm if all the NJ clubs close. But I'm surprised that no one here has expressed anger at the manager of the club, and the bartender(s) that overserved the guy who caused the fatal crash.

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Would anyone object to prosecuting this case if the property was owned by someone other than Trump?

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34975 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Would anyone object to prosecuting this case if the property was owned by someone other than Trump?

The degree of punishment is reportedly unusual.

quote:
For these violations , the state said, normal punishment would be a 25-day suspension of the liquor license. But “in this case, the [state] will seek revocation of the license based upon the total circumstances,” says the letter, which was signed by a deputy state attorney general, Andrew R. Sapolnick.

So, it may be outside of the norm, but warranted; or outside of the norm, but unwarranted. But, outside of the norm, in any event.

Posts: 45754 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I'm curious to know what the "total circumstances" were.

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I think it was "aggravated circumstances", but yea, that seems to be a missing puzzle piece.

I blew past the "rare" part when I skimmed the original article, but apparently jon didn't. I'm assuming he thinks TrumpCo was targeted, but I didn't pick up on that at all, at least in part because I missed the "rare".

If the club was targeted because it belongs to Trump, jon is right that's not fair.

I'm in the Quirt schadenfreude mode. I find it pretty hard to muster any sympathy for the poor nasty billionaire who insults anyone in his path.

I guess I'm just low class deplorable.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37961 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
So does the club get a pass because it’s a Trump property?

Suppose I owned the property. Would I get a pass?

Who would make excuses for me?

Posts: 34975 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
That seems to be the exact opposite of what’s happening, Steve. It seems to be under threat of losing its license because Trump owns it.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33801 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
That seems to be the exact opposite of what’s happening, Steve. It seems to be under threat of losing its license because Trump owns it.

To Steve: no one is saying they should get a pass. But the question is whether they should get treated more harshly than the ordinary case. You are pretending that those who are arguing that he's being punished unfairly are in fact arguing that he shouldn't be punished at all ("does the club get a pass because it’s a Trump property?"). The argument is it should just be punished like everyone else. That's not giving the club a pass.

Jon: You are assuming the answer to the question I posed (although it was not in the form of a question). I'll ask it explicitly. Is the higher than normal punishment warranted by the circumstances, or not?

I'll bet any amount of money you like that you have exactly zero knowledge of the precedent of enforcement of New Jersey liquor license laws, and that you have no greater knowledge about what anyone in authority in New Jersey has ever said about aggravating circumstances under the liquor license laws. Neither do I. I'm guessing no one here does. Maybe Rich, but unlikely.

So, bottom line, we are all speculating when it comes to answering that question. You're answering the question based on zero knowledge and an assumption that someone is out to get Trump, but you don't know that. You have a very limited amount of information, and that's a SWAG based on what you know.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
+1

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37961 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Very true, but the fact that we are speculating would seem to prove that, in the current climate, it's a very real possibility. This post was not started because a golf club might lose its license.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13563 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
That's a bit disingenuous. The reason why this particular license revocation is news is precisely because it's a Trump business. The same would be true if the club were owned by any celebrity/politician, etc.

Bars are closed/licenses revoked for this reason literally every day. Those don't all make the news, either.

And again, we don't know what the aggravating circumstances were, and the club's license hasn't been revoked. The news is that it's one of Trump's clubs. I'm not shocked that it was reported on, and the article was pretty much neutral.

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Trump failed to divest himself from properties or rebrand them when deciding to become president - I'm all for raising the level of expectations for behavior from a presidential (or politician-owned) business to the highest levels possible.

I would've expected the same from Jimmy Carter's peanut farm.... but he didn't keep it!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7557 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Dead guy on line 2... Doesn’t care who owns the club...

He thinks NJ has a law and they ought to enforce it.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Dead guy on line 2... Doesn’t care who owns the club...

He thinks NJ has a law and they ought to enforce it.

I'll say to you the flip side of what I said to jon ... you have no idea what enforcing the NJ law looks like. (Nor do I.) You have no idea whether there have, historically, been twenty cases worse than this that didn't get their licenses pulled.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Apparently, Trump and the State of New Jersey have history.

https://www.politico.com/state...p-new-jersey-1226001