well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Phantom forests - failed reforestation projects

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Phantom forests - failed reforestation projects
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Phantom Forests: Why Ambitious Tree Planting Projects Are Failing

High-profile initiatives to plant millions of trees are being touted by governments around the world as major contributions to fighting climate change. But scientists say many of these projects are ill-conceived and poorly managed and often fail to grow any forests at all.

https://e360.yale.edu/features...nting-climate-change

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37953 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
There must be a successful place for managed plantings. Witness the extensive southern yellow pine plantations in the US that are harvested for applications such as utility poles and pulpwood for paper, cardboard, etc. After decades of use, they harbor a greater volume of wood than before they were originally established.

That being said, natural regeneration can work wonders in the long term. The state of Pennsylvania was very nearly clear-cut over its entirety by around the beginning of the 20th century. Now forests cover more than 60% of the state. It's not a perfect solution. The majestic white pines that existed in the primeval forest cannot resist the onslaught of white-tailed deer that have flourished in the absence of predators like wolves. The deer eat the pine seedlings unless they are artificially protected, which isn't practical on a large scale. Thus, the returning forest is largely oaks and mixed hardwoods.

I have some personal experience with planting trees at my home. The saplings, mostly fruit trees, that I've planted have generally been able to survive to a fruit-bearing state because of individual care, watering when needed, and protecting against animal damage from deer, rabbits, etc. The seedlings I've planted have had less success. Some have matured into large trees, but many did not survive, whether from animals, insects, weather, poor choice of habitat, or whatever is often hard to say.

It's worth noting as well that individual trees are not immortal. I lost all my ash trees to the emerald ash borer. Windstorms have claimed some trees and lightning demolished a big, old maple tree. Others seem to expire from plant diseases or simple old age and a few are crowded out by hardier species growing nearby.

Forestry is an interesting combination of nature, science, and art. Neglect any aspect and failure may well ensue.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7413 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Yes, forestry is fascinating. on our recent float down the Missouri River we encountered numerous attempts by organizations, universities, and landholders to rejuvenate and restore cottonwood stands. The most successful one we saw was created by a rancher who set up an automatic watering system right out of the river. The others weren't doing so great. They were managed by having volunteers and civil servants float down the river to water them by hand.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21352 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
There was a great episode of 99% Invisible that talked about this issue, specifically as it related to planting in peat bogs. It was fascinating!

https://99percentinvisible.org...or-the-love-of-peat/

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4094 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post