well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Butte, on Sunday Morning.

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Butte, on Sunday Morning.
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted
Copper is still king, btw. Montana Resources is making a butte-ton of money grinding up the mountains on the edge of town.

https://youtu.be/_-UA0Bc2_PI

--------------------------------
Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20446 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Butte is one of my most favorite places in Montana. Such a fascinating, multi-faceted history.

Jodi have you read "Pennies from Hell" by Ed Dobb? Or seen his documentary "Butte, America"?

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21337 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
Copper is still king, btw. Montana Resources is making a butte-ton of money grinding up the mountains on the edge of town.

https://youtu.be/_-UA0Bc2_PI

Glad there is a lot of cleaning up being done.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
A sweet story about a Chinese American restaurant in Butte, in the NYT yesterday:

With Chop Suey and Loyal Fans, a Montana Kitchen Keeps the Flame Burning

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9798 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Beautiful country and lots of it! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34916 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:
A sweet story about a Chinese American restaurant in Butte, in the NYT yesterday:

With Chop Suey and Loyal Fans, a Montana Kitchen Keeps the Flame Burning

Jodi, this is the restaurant I wanted to take you to when you came to Butte to house hunt. It was closed that day.

I remember the booths as being green. But I haven't eaten there since the early 90s. It was notorious as an opium den. The history of the Chinese in Butte is fascinating. I had a grad student who did her master's project on the Tong Wars in Butte. There are also underground tunnels in the city. And there used to be a museum of prostitution in an old whorehouse that was incredibly cool.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21337 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine went recently and said the food wasn’t very good. It’s more about the history at this point, I think. We are seriously lacking in interesting places to eat here.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20446 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post