well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The Neoracists
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Neoracists
 Login/Join

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
There was an online group formed in the musician community that espoused those ideas McWhorter is calling out. Signing petitions, calling for firing academics, checking who’s insufficiently woke, etc. Plus monthly meetings to maintain rigor and plan further strategy. I kind of felt like, if you got an invite to join, and didn’t, then you were assumed to be racist.

This idea has been proposed: Since non-white composers (well, honestly, any contemporary composers) are listed in concert programs by first and last name, we should no longer list well-known classical composers simply by last name (“Beethoven”) but print out their full names (“Ludwig van Beethoven”) because that supposedly levels the playing field.

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I guess it would be easier if black people just went away.

I thought the essay was a great lot of nothing. Unless issues of race can be perfectly logical and expressed as such, we should all just throw our hands up, I guess.

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
I guess it would be easier if black people just went away.

The author is a Black man.

quote:
Unless issues of race can be perfectly logical and expressed as such, we should all just throw our hands up, I guess.

I'm curious as to what that bit of sarcasm implies. Does that mean that any difference of viewpoint is automatically invalid, even if expressed by another Black person?

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
This was a teaser for a longer work. I wouldn't expect him to dot every "i" and explore every angle. This piece struck me as a diagnosis and critique of the modern "movement," not a policy template for the future.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Anti-racism as a religion?
Have seen racism as a religion since childhood.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
Anti-racism as a religion?
Have seen racism as a religion since childhood.

Right that, too. Most of the ...isms tend that way sooner or later.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7412 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post