well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The Neoracists
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Neoracists
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted
John McWhorter

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Thanks, that was an interesting read.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
Thanks, that was an interesting read.

+1

And shared.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
McWhorter has been honing this thesis for a number of years now. He has the language and the intellectual chops to make a clear case, a revolt even, against this wave of what in the 80s was referred to as "The Movement."

He also has some standing. It's somewhat easier for a black intellectual who refers to himself as "a cranky liberal" to push back against the easy charge of being "self-loathing" or a tool of supremacists. He is also correct, I think, in noting that most White critics of the new movement have a harder road. Well, unless they're right-wing rabble rousers for the Trump base, in which case they don't much care about having the racist label hurled at them by their adversaries. But centrist or left-wing criticism won't be received as merely incorrect. Their claims probably won't be read as humanist or liberal counterarguments expressed in good faith. They will be marked as racist and risk social media assault. Careers can end. Not worth it. Intimidation does work.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I thought that essay rang some bells with me.

They analogy of "anti-racism" as a religion not subject to rational discussion and review resonates with some recent conversations I have had. The "if you're not for me, then you're against me" position doesn't allow for much discussion or even some discussion of what constitutes racism, anti-racism, or how such labels apply to individuals and situations.

There is a certain "my way or the highway" feeling that appears when debate, discussion, or an honest attempt to understand impends some agendas. An example recently appeared in a local peace organization when one of the original founders was driven out after repeating something she apparently agreed with something that she saw on Facebook (story here). The "purge" that subsequently happened seemed to me to be reminiscent of the Stalinist purges of the 1930s or Mao's great leap forward a few decades later.

I may be labeled reactionary or worse, but I'm not quite ready to voluntarily enroll in the 21st century's re-education camps yet.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7413 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Asthma and I don't know what have made it difficult to focus and read the essay.
Took an antihistamine and now I can read it, but it still looks like BS about BS.
Thank you for you comments.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
An excellent analysis of a subject I wouldn’t touch with a 10 foot pole.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
I only got to the tenants, then stopped.

Tripe IMO.

Posts: 1534 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dan:
I only got to the tenants, then stopped.

Tripe IMO.

It does have that BS about BS air about it.

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Did you mean “tenets” rather than “tenants?”

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
centrist or left-wing criticism won't be received as merely incorrect. Their claims probably won't be read as humanist or liberal counterarguments expressed in good faith. They will be marked as racist and risk social media assault. Careers can end. Not worth it. Intimidation does work.

Yup.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
centrist or left-wing criticism won't be received as merely incorrect. Their claims probably won't be read as humanist or liberal counterarguments expressed in good faith. They will be marked as racist and risk social media assault. Careers can end. Not worth it. Intimidation does work.

Yup.

Yeah, well, then why am I writing that sh!t? Big Grin

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
quote:

So, you too are thinking about retirement? :-)

Posts: 9598 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
ROTFLMAO

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yup.

The only way to win is not to play…

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post