well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Journalists, please stop doing this

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Journalists, please stop doing this
 Login/Join

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted
From a piece by Mara Gay in today’s New York Times (but they ALL do it):

“Nearly a third of Black men said they supported Mr. Trump, while 17 percent of Black women did. In another poll, one in five Black voters said they wanted someone other than Mr. Trump or Mr. Biden.”

Please, why not just write 33%, 17%, 20%? I realize it’s simple math, but don’t make me do it in my head. It slows down my reading and comprehension.

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13831 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Most statistics can be more easily and compactly presented in a table or in a graph/chart rather than words, yet most articles in the popular press present them in words. Probably because it’s cheaper to pay writers than to pay number crunchers or graphic artists, or to pay only writers (that the press needs to have) and not pay any number cruncher or graphic artist (that are merely “nice to have” for the press). Shrug

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12704 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
It's written in an incoherent style, using both words and symbols for numbers.

Numbers usually 'should be' written as words (as a default), but this tries to have it both ways.

This is an exception to the 'rule,' and I agree with you; only symbols should have been used.

Posts: 24832 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
Most statistics can be more easily and compactly presented in a table or in a graph/chart rather than words, yet most articles in the popular press present them in words. Probably because it’s cheaper to pay writers than to pay number crunchers or graphic artists, or to pay only writers (that the press needs to have) and not pay any number cruncher or graphic artist (that are merely “nice to have” for the press). Shrug

I think in the olden days it was more expensive to lay out a table than straight text, but today when everything is laid out by computer and camera-ready, I don't know why we don't see more tables. Some sites (NYT springs to mind) will occasionally have really nice interactive graphics, but it's uncommon.

Posts: 35384 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I think graphs look like high math to many.
They cause the mind to shriek and avoid.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25735 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Well, there is that.

Posts: 35384 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post