well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Small storage

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Small storage
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted
My father rigged up an ingenious storage system in his garage involving baby food jars with the lids screwed to the underside of shelving. Nuts, bolts, screws, washers, nails. He had 4 kids and plenty of jars. He later went to sliding drawer hobby cabinets - which I inherited. I’ll never use any of it but I cherish every bolt.

I started with coffee cans. They were plastic even then, 1 pound and of uniform size. I probably had 50 of them, all labeled as to content. I built shelves to store them all.

I later went to plastic pick-bins, the system I use to this day. Rectangular shape is more efficient, easy to label. They’re readily available on line but I have all I’ll ever need.

Now that I’ve retired though, I find I need to up my game. I’ve started doing craft stuff like restoring furniture. I need things like wood bleach, baking soda, and touch up paint. I’ve settled on glass jars - specifically olive jars. I like the occasional martini and find that olive jars are both readily available and of a convenient size. Wood bleach, axle grease, bicarb, leftover stripper all seem to fit nicely. Jack eats a lot of peanut butter and those jars work well for larger quantities. I’ll have to move a bunch of them to the basement so they don’t freeze but that’s easy enough.

But I wonder - what’s your system? Not just hardware but craft supplies and/or kitchen back stock? Jars, drawers, boxes?

Extra points for pictures. ThumbsUp

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34945 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Omg, this will take me awhile. ROTFLMAO

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20459 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
My dad did the same thing. It was good idea.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13555 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Anybody else remember this version of the baby food jar storage gizmo? You could rotate the jars around.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post

For yarn, this IKEA Expedit shelf system with cubbies that slide in and out. Knitting books on the shelf in the corner (top 3 shelves, other stuff below). Boots have now moved into the closet.

Bulk food items go in mason jars (various sizes) in the cupboard. This would be lentils, popcorn, pistachios. Sometimes I come back and I’m not sure what that stuff is (mystery lentils etc).

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
Anybody else remember this version of the baby food jar storage gizmo? You could rotate the jars around.
I’ve never seen one. Very clever!

I wonder which jars it was made for. As I recall, Beech-nut and Gerber jars used different threads.

Posts: 34945 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
quote:

But they’re at an angle, so whatever is in the jar spills out when you are screwing or unscrewing it from the wheel o’ lids.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
quote:

But they’re at an angle, so whatever is in the jar spills out when you are screwing or unscrewing it from the wheel o’ lids.

Don’t overfill!

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I'm pleased with how this storage area came out. The containers were on sale:

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Man after my own heart; I have all my spices labeled that way.

Nice containers. Where did you buy them?

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Man after my own heart; I have all my spices labeled that way.

Nice containers. Where did you buy them?

Home Goods/TJ Maxx. Much better pricing than I was able to find on Amazon. Only downside was that removing the labels was a hassle - peel, Goof Off, Windex.

Should keep the bugs out and stabilize the moisture content.

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
system? ROTFLMAO

i go for bins, baskets, and bankers' boxes.in the garage we have jars of many different shapes and sizes, trays, and a peg board for tools. camping gear is in plastic storage bins by category: sleeping bags, stuff sacks, kitchen supplies, horse camping supplies, dog stuff, and river trips.

in the barn i use lots of clear plastic tubs of varying sizes. first aid, hoof related, fencing materials, and another peg board for tools.

the garden shed has lots of trays on the shelves for gloves, seeds, hand tools...

i like the portable cabinets with dozens of drawers for small hardware. they work well for medicines too.

my missoula house had baby food jar organization for nails and other hardware out in the workshop shed. i brought some of the jars to our current house but left the homemade shelves and cabinets.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I have a organizer for my nuts, bolts, screws, etc, but it's more like this.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13555 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin