well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Life at 50C

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Life at 50C
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted
Mexico and Australia at 122F.
A four minute video of the changes wrought by climate change .

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25712 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I've been in 122F and it is significantly hotter than "cooler" temps. Arizona semi-routinely would have a few days around 115-118, but that 122 day was from another world.

And that 122 was a spike in a hot weather period lasting about a week, IIRC. Not even remotely continous.

Posts: 35382 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I spent a couple weeks in Kuwait in July and August one year right after the war ended. In Kuwait, the law said that if it is at or above 50C everyone can quit work and go home. Officially, it never got to 50C, it was always 48 or 49; but some of those 49s were a lot hotter than others. Kuwait (at least Kuwait city) has a predominately onshore flow, so it's pretty dry, even though it is right on the Gulf.

I would not want to live there. I think the heat would kill me.

A lot of people there have Mercedes and BMWs, but they don't drive them during the day because the windshields and dashboards melt. During the day, they drove Chevy Caprices. Those big ol' American air conditioning systems could keep up with the heat. The wussy German ones could not. I have no idea what they did after Chevy stopped making the Caprice.

We got up to 116 here a couple months ago. And it was a tad humid. We were sweating our guts out.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
General Motors had the best air conditioning when I was a youngster.
Hope they have kept it up.
The day may come when I need that.

Posts: 25712 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Last year in Tucson there was a day the dog needed to go out when it was 113F.
It was a short walk.
On that day and the too frequent 109 days my synthetic fabric hiking shorts would get so hot on a walk around the block that I would shed them shortly after entering the house.

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
It was a short walk.
Does the dog wear booties so its feet don't get burned?

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13816 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
It was a short walk.
Does the dog wear booties so its feet don't get burned?

No, he never winced or showed any discomfort. When he walked on ice he did not want to put his feet down.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
I've been in 122F and it is significantly hotter than "cooler" temps. Arizona semi-routinely would have a few days around 115-118, but that 122 day was from another world.

And that 122 was a spike in a hot weather period lasting about a week, IIRC. Not even remotely continous.

Been there too, in Tucson. Everybody says 'But it's a DRY heat!'. Yeah? So's hell.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13562 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
SO happy to live in Maine!

J

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17680 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Our deck gets super hot in summer afternoons when the sun beats directly down on it. When I take my daughter's dog out to do his things across the street, I have to carry him so he doesn't burn his feet. I feel like a sherpa, or that I'm carrying some sort of pasha. Big Grin

Posts: 35382 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
The street in Tucson was asphalt covered with gravel pressed into it to avoid the heat asphalt can hold.
Wonder if that was why the dog never winced. Never saw booties on the other dogs I saw.

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Back in the day, we had a friend who was a student at ASU when I was there as a grad student. She had a beautiful golden retriever service dog who was sort of infamous at the time. You didn't see that many service animals. She started a small business making and selling dog booties after realizing she had to protect her dog's feet when they walked around on the Tempe sidewalks in the summer. That was the first I'd heard of it. I hope she patented it.

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Our deck gets super hot in summer afternoons when the sun beats directly down on it. When I take my daughter's dog out to do his things across the street, I have to carry him so he doesn't burn his feet. I feel like a sherpa, or that I'm carrying some sort of pasha. Big Grin

Is your deck wood, or Trex? I just had our backyard bench rebuilt (It was 30+ years old). We waited all summer for cedar to be available/affordable. HandyDude said that Trex would get too hot to be comfortable to sit on.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure it's TREX but it's another type of synthetic. We have two different types. The front deck/entry way is some sort of big "laminate" tiles (not really laminate but I'm not sure what) that gets really hot. The back deck is a TREX competitor, but has that same wood type look. It gets hot but not as much as the front, but it also doesn't get quick as much of the afternoon sun. It's HUGE drawback, though, is that it's super slippery. This is nice when pushing back your chair from our outdoor table, but really dangerous when climbing a ladder. We have a rubber mat that we *have* to put under the ladder rungs for that.