well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Sweden’s coronavirus strategy

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sweden’s coronavirus strategy
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Sweden’s coronavirus death rate per million citizens is among the highest in the world

https://www.msn.com/en-sg/news...it-seems/ar-BB13XfQh

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37970 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I breezed past a headline this morning, but the gist of it was... a "protester" in the U.S. had a sign that said "Let's be like Sweden", but the irony is that the approach in Sweden is based on an innate trust of the government... the exact opposite of the right-wing mindset.

Some of the most dangerous words ever spoken were "government isn't the solution to your problems; government is the problem."

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
... a "protester" in the U.S. had a sign that said "Let's be like Sweden", ...
Bet he's gonna love taxing like Sweden.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12696 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
A new study suggested that only a small percentage of people in Sweden's capital, Stockholm, had developed coronavirus antibodies, casting doubt over whether the country's avoidance of strict lockdown measures is helping the population develop a significant level of immunity.

The study, based on 1,100 tests across Sweden and carried out by the country's public-health agency, found that just 7.3% of people in Stockholm had developed antibodies, Reuters reported on Wednesday.

Experts say populations can achieve so-called herd immunity to a virus when about 60% of people have caught it.

Tom Britton, a professor who helped develop the agency's forecasting model, acknowledged that the calculations may have been wrong.

"It means either the calculations made by the agency and myself are quite wrong, which is possible, but if that's the case it's surprising they are so wrong," he told the Swedish newspaper Dagens Nyheter, according to The Guardian. "Or more people have been infected than developed antibodies."

Britton had previously suggested that about half of the country could become infected by the end of April.

Sweden this week overtook the United Kingdom, Italy, and others to become the country with the highest number of coronavirus deaths per capita.

https://www.businessinsider.co...herd-immunity-2020-5

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37970 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
But...but...it's all a HOAX! The ENTIRE WORLD is collaborating to bring down Donald J. Trump!

I swear, this pandemic has done more than 64 years of life to convince me of the utter stupidity of the human race.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13564 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:

I swear, this pandemic has done more than 64 years of life to convince me of the utter stupidity of the human race.

OMG, me too. (Except, 61 years). I just can’t even watch anymore. We don’t deserve this planet. Frowner

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20467 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Not only has Sweden now surpassed the other badly hit W. European countries in COVID deaths (all but Germany, really) but it has horrifically outpaced the other Scandinavian countries.

The only "good" thing is that their strategy wasn't covert but taken with knowledge and approval of the populace and they seem to be Ok with the outcome now. So, one says anyhow.

Frowner

I'm most disturbed by the implications of the testing in Stockholm showing barely 7% of the population are showing antibodies indicating exposure/otherwise acquired immunity.

So many of us were hoping that their (frightening) "herd immunity" experiment would at least be worth the risk and pay off.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
It was an unusual (and I might add shocking) approach.

I like the nuance you give of it having had (at least) the tacit approval of the populace.

Yet it seems to have been a total failure.

Posts: 24740 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sweden's controversial decision not to impose a strict lockdown in response to the Covid-19 pandemic led to too many deaths, the man behind the policy, Anders Tegnell, has acknowledged.

Sweden has seen a far higher mortality rate than its nearest neighbours and its nationals are being barred from crossing their borders.

Dr Tegnell told Swedish radio more should have been done early on.

"There is quite obviously a potential for improvement in what we have done."

How Tegnell's views have changed

Dr Tegnell, who is Sweden's state epidemiologist and in charge of the country's response to Covid-19, told BBC News in April that the high death toll was mainly because homes for the elderly had been unable to keep the disease out, although he emphasised that "does not disqualify our strategy as a whole".

Now he has told Swedish public radio: "If we were to encounter the same disease again, knowing exactly what we know about it today, I think we would settle on doing something in between what Sweden did and what the rest of the world has done."

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-52903717

Bazootiehead-in-training