well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Non alcoholic beer
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non alcoholic beer
 Login/Join

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
i very rarely drink beer. it doesnt agree with my gut. if i'm in mexico i might have a corona with a wedge of lime, but that's about it.

now a good gin and tonic--best one i ever had was last year on my birthday at a beach bar on costa rica's caribbean coast. they had an entire gin-and-tonic menu--amazing recipes. The one with rosemary sprigs and crushed mint was out of this world.

--------------------------------
fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21538 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
now a good gin and tonic-

I can't drink much alcohol in general, but gin has dropped off the list entirely because it makes me feel totally awful. One modest g/t and I have a hangover the next day. Huge bummer, because gin and tonic with a lime wedge was always my favorite summertime drink. Frowner

Back to the thread topic...Here's the wtg NA beer report...some of these I've had before and others I just tried after Mik posted this thread...

Wanted to try the Athletic Free Wave Hazy IPA but Binny's was out of it. Guess that's a good sign!

Guinness Draught Zero. Has the little ping pong ball in the can that gives the beer a nice head when you pour. All in all, not bad, but you wouldn't mistake it for regular Guinness. A reasonable choice if you're a stout drinker as I am.

Bravus Dark Oatmeal. Had a coffee-esque flavor to it. It was OK, but given a choice between a Bravus and a Guinness, I'd go for the Guinness.

Clausthaler Original and Dry Hopped. Both are pretty good and have been my go-to NA beers for a while.

I have had a couple of the Lagunitas NA beers (don't remember which ones) and didn't like any of them.

I left my top rated NA beer for last...

I just tried my first Peroni 0.0% and it is the best NA beer I've ever had. I even had to check the bottle to be sure I hadn't grabbed a regular Peroni, which was in the frig right next to it. Mr wtg said he would never have guessed it was an NA beer.

When the world wearies and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden - Minnie Aumônier

Posts: 38206 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Here is a NA beer that I get locally. I confused this with Athletic at first. It’s very good (I’ve also tried Athletic, and I think this is better.)

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13883 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Clausthaler Original and Dry Hopped

We like the Clausthaler Original, but didn’t like the Dry Hopped. it sat in the fridge for a while, and then we gave it away.

Thanks for the tip on the Peroni, wtg! I haven’t seen that at my usual grocery haunt, so I’ll try elsewhere.

The other thing I’m drinking these days instead of all prosecco all the time, is kombucha. My favorite is Clear Mind by Brew Dr. I think it’s local, not sure how wide the reach is.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9851 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Bitberger 0.0 is a really nice light pilsner, great for summertime!

Posts: 35427 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I am not a huge beer drinker but it’s a shame to totally abstain because there are so many quality microbrews around. One local place will sell me a half-pint at half price. Which is all I have the capacity for, but I still get to enjoy all the beautiful flavors.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13883 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I tried the Athletic Free Wave Hazy IPA. It was not bad, but the winner for me is the Peroni 0.0. I managed to score a great buy on it at Binny's and have stocked up for the summer!

When the world wearies and society ceases to satisfy, there is always the garden - Minnie Aumônier

Posts: 38206 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
Bitberger 0.0 is a really nice light pilsner, great for summertime!

My favorite pilsners have a distinct crackery flavor, but I can’t find any around here. Anyone know of any that are pretty available?

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13643 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post