well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Non alcoholic beer
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Non alcoholic beer
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted
These have been getting much better with craft brewing. Last night I had an Athletic Brewing Company Free Wave no alcohol IPA. Quite delicious and very satisfying. 70 calories.

Available nationwide I think at Whole Foods. Athletic has a pretty full lineup of beer types.

--------------------------------
"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13643 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Athletic's Hazy IPA is decent too!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7600 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
My friends all like Heineken no alcohol.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 35081 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Athletic has gotten really popular, they make good NA beer. There are so many more choices now! We really like the Deschutes Black Butte (porter) NA, their regular Black Butte porter is really nice too. and the Blue Moon NA is very light and citrusy - a little sweet - so good with certain things, but not others. I tend to drink Busch NA the most because it’s less expensive and it’s what WalMart carries.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I’ve had a couple of the Athletic beers, and they taste good, probably the best out there, but it still seems to me that there’s something missing, and I don’t mean alcohol. It’s something having to do with body or balance.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13883 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Non-alcoholic beer is good for the Sober Curious, but not for alcoholics.
I know alcoholics who thought they could drink non-alcoholic beer. No. There is enough alcohol in non-alcoholic beer to spark the craving and loss of control over drinking.
Even ginger beer and kombucha ferment a little and should be avoided by alcoholics.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25843 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Not an NA - but this beer is really nice if you like Hefeweizen.

Miner’s Gold Hefeweizen. Lewis and Clark Brewing (from Helena Montana)

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20525 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CHAS:
Non-alcoholic beer is good for the Sober Curious, but not for alcoholics.
I know alcoholics who thought they could drink non-alcoholic beer. No. There is enough alcohol in non-alcoholic beer to spark the craving and loss of control over drinking.
Even ginger beer and kombucha ferment a little and should be avoided by alcoholics.

True. And its not just the trace of alcohol. It's also the psychological association. Like tossing lit matches over a bucket of gasoline for some people.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21536 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
I seem to remember that one of the N.A. beers from Brooklyn brewing has been my favorite so far. I'm just not sure which one!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7600 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
We like the Athletic NA beers over here, too. Readily available, and they taste pretty good.

Chas, sorry they don’t work as completely non-alcoholic. And I know I have to show ID at the grocery store to buy it, and also NA wines.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9850 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
I think pique is correct in that some of the problems alcoholics have with NA beer is the association with drinking something called beer in a bar atmosphere.
I never liked the bar atmosphere, many alcoholics do.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25843 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
I love a good dive bar, one of those places if your drink has more than two ingredients, and ice counts, you're in the wrong place. But for someone who has a problem with alcohol, even zero alcohol beer is too close, as is the atmosphere.

I wish there was a bar like that near me. I grew up with a ton of them. Not nightclubs, bars.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13643 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:
We like the Athletic NA beers over here, too. Readily available, and they taste pretty good.

Chas, sorry they don’t work as completely non-alcoholic. And I know I have to show ID at the grocery store to buy it, and also NA wines.

But not grape juice!

Posts: 45838 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
I love a good dive bar, one of those places if your drink has more than two ingredients, and ice counts, you're in the wrong place. But for someone who has a problem with alcohol, even zero alcohol beer is too close, as is the atmosphere.

I wish there was a bar like that near me. I grew up with a ton of them. Not nightclubs, bars.

I never really liked bars. They seemed like places for alcoholics. Then I learned too late in life that people went to those places to find romantic partners. Sigh. Oh, well, fortunately I found that kind of attention in other places.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13883 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
I tried NA beer for the first time just a few weeks ago. German. Clausthaler. I liked it, thought it was very good.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10678 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post