well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The Reveal
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Reveal
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:
Did any of those table lamps come out of the hoarder house? They all look very nice.

No, and we’re kicking ourselves now. We sold genuine Marbro lamps (Google for examples) for pennies on the dollar just to get rid of them. The Lane furniture, the crazy 50’s glassware, the Heywood Wakefield bedroom set - all went to dealers who paid practically nothing for any of it.

But we didn’t know we’d ever want it and the furniture would have cost a fortune to ship, store, and ship again. Sharon’s sister did furnish her place with some of it and we’re happy about that.

Some if the lamps are period - gathered from yard sales and such. One pair we got for $20/pair at a yard sale on Kelly’s Island which necessitated hauling them around on a golf cart all day and wrapping them in life jackets to get them home on a boat. Others are knockoffs from Amazon and Lamps Plus. One came from Goodwill.

--------------------------------
Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Wow! Quite luxurious, Steve!
Re Lamps, I'm above all a fan of the overhead fixtures.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:

That’s interesting as I’ve never really liked them and have thought of converting at least some of them to picture spots. They’re great for cleaning but I always feel like I need a baseball cap to shade my eyes.

I’ve installed dimmers on every switch and that seems to help.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda:

That’s interesting as I’ve never really liked them and have thought of converting at least some of them to picture spots. They’re great for cleaning but I always feel like I need a baseball cap to shade my eyes.

I’ve installed dimmers on every switch and that seems to help.

I can't tell how bright the overheads are from the photographs, but speaking as someone looking for overhead lights, I liked the designs (though they probably wouldn't work in my house as the ceilings are lower).

All but the weird thing hanging from the ceiling in the man cave, that is.

(I love dimmers for the versatility - and you could afford them everywhere with your ability to wire anything yourself.)

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve Miller:
Sharon ordered it through Lamps Plus.

Thanks! I don't want to spend that much on a coffee table, but I did find some lamps I like. Found them cheaper on Amazon. Arrving next week. Smiler

I have another design for a coffee table with a top shaped like that in glass that I am thinking of building myself. It would hold magazines underneath.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post