well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Bivalent Booster Efficacy

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bivalent Booster Efficacy
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted
Data is incomplete, and results are mixed. However …

quote:
Those who didn’t get a bivalent booster weren’t totally unprotected. But the longer they’d gone since their last dose of the original vaccine, the more their protection waned — and the more their risk grew, especially if they were over 65.

A different recent CDC publication also showed the booster’s protective effect was especially strong in older adults. Americans 65 and over who had received a booster dose had 73 percent fewer Covid-19 hospitalizations in the fall than those who’d received at least two doses of the monovalent vaccine.

https://www.vox.com/science-an...-vaccine-offit-topol

Posts: 45754 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Good overview. Last week I posted the Eric Topol blog post that's mentioned in that Vox article.

And while we're on COVID and vaccines...

There was also an analysis that examined the risk of myocarditis from infection vs from vaccine.

And under the category of "maybe there is a light at the end of the tunnel"...

In Illinois, hospitalizations are down 81% compared to the same time last year. I know that the percentage of people getting (bivalent) boosters is quite low and that most people have eschewed masking and have gone back to "life as usual", so the low rate of hospitalization was a very pleasant surprise.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37960 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I'm traveling this week (and looking at the weather, and wondering if I'm going to get stuck in the airport when I'm trying to come home)....

So I'm hoping that I'll be ok, and not bring home any covid, between my boosters, my general health, my masks, and the (hopefully not false) sense that things are sort of calm...

-_-

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18564 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
I'm traveling this week (and looking at the weather, and wondering if I'm going to get stuck in the airport when I'm trying to come home)....

So I'm hoping that I'll be ok, and not bring home any covid, between my boosters, my general health, my masks, and the (hopefully not false) sense that things are sort of calm...

-_-

Wishing you safe travels, SK. We went to St. Louis last weekend to visit mom-in-law. So far so good.

Flew home through Charlotte. That is not a mask wearing airport.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
That is not a mask wearing airport.

Indeed. Frowner

I think I should be ok if I can just fly out and fly back, but there might be some dicey weather on my return trip, and being stuck in an airport full of unmasked people bc flights are cancelled is a nightmare scenario in terms of covid protocols...

We'll see, the weather forecast keeps changing. (btw CLT is my layover airport, not the destination airport).

Not-worrying is not my strong suit.

Posts: 18564 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
That is not a mask wearing airport.

Indeed. Frowner

I think I should be ok if I can just fly out and fly back, but there might be some dicey weather on my return trip, and being stuck in an airport full of unmasked people bc flights are cancelled is a nightmare scenario in terms of covid protocols...

We'll see, the weather forecast keeps changing. (btw CLT is my layover airport, not the destination airport).

Not-worrying is not my strong suit.

I’d give up the worry since there’s nothing you can do about it. As long as you do what you can to protect yourself (masking, trying to avoid clumps of people for long periods of time), that’s as much as you can control.

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AdagioM:

Flew home through Charlotte. That is not a mask wearing airport.

Even in NY/LA/SFO mask wearing is a small minority these days.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Big John
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:

In Illinois, hospitalizations are down 81% compared to the same time last year. I know that the percentage of people getting (bivalent) boosters is quite low and that most people have eschewed masking and have gone back to "life as usual", so the low rate of hospitalization was a very pleasant surprise.

My soon to be 91-year old Mom has passed on the bivalent booster. she's been hanging out with friends who adore Cucker Tarlson and well I don't need to say any more.

Another day in Paradise.

Posts: 3902 | Registered: 14 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
More positive news about the bivalent booster:

https://www.washingtonpost.com...er-xbb15-infections/

Posts: 45754 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I’m home from my trip, got home last night. There were some weather delays and both flights on my return trip were delayed. Even though I was supposed to have a 1.5 hour layover, I had to run to my gate to make the connecting flight. But despite all that, I made it home (yay!)

And I was never stuck in a huge, densely packed group of people inside the airport, which was basically my biggest concern re covid.

Apparently, on Tuesday, Southwest preemptively canceled a bunch of Wed. flights. I was flying American, which on Tuesday “invited” me to change my travel plans, but I couldn’t. But anyway, as a result, my first airport was practically deserted yesterday. So I easily found a completely empty gate to sit down and take off my mask to have some lunch.

Other than that, I kept my mask on the entire time going and coming, no drinking or eating on the flight etc.

While I was definitely in the minority, I wasn’t the only person with a mask, and on at least one flight, one of the attendants wore a mask.

Oh and I used one of the home test kits when I got home last night. Negative.

If my memory serves, infection with the current variant is pretty quick, right? So I figure if I’m going to get it from this trip, it would happen in the next few days.

So I’ll do another home kit maybe on Saturday.

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’m home from my trip, got home last night. There were some weather delays and both flights on my return trip were delayed. Even though I was supposed to have a 1.5 hour layover, I had to run to my gate to make the connecting flight. But despite all that, I made it home (yay!)

And I was never stuck in a huge, densely packed group of people inside the airport, which was basically my biggest concern re covid.

Apparently, on Tuesday, Southwest preemptively canceled a bunch of Wed. flights. I was flying American, which on Tuesday “invited” me to change my travel plans, but I couldn’t. But anyway, as a result, my first airport was practically deserted yesterday. So I easily found a completely empty gate to sit down and take off my mask to have some lunch.

Other than that, I kept my mask on the entire time going and coming, no drinking or eating on the flight etc.

While I was definitely in the minority, I wasn’t the only person with a mask, and on at least one flight, one of the attendants wore a mask.

Oh and I used one of the home test kits when I got home last night. Negative.

If my memory serves, infection with the current variant is pretty quick, right? So I figure if I’m going to get it from this trip, it would happen in the next few days.

So I’ll do another home kit maybe on Saturday.

Welcome home!

After the FAA no flying snafu a couple weeks ago, American “invited” us to change our reservation (which was a couple days after) at no charge to us. Adding an extra 7 hours to our trip. Um, no thanks. That was not going to be for OUR convenience.

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
That was not going to be for OUR convenience.

Yep. -_-