well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Hay Steve, help with this kitchen light fixture?
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hay Steve, help with this kitchen light fixture?
 Login/Join

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Probably not quite the style/decade/century you're looking for, but here are the fixtures I put in my basement:

The old fixtures from the 1950s looked like pie pans with some slits in the sides. Really, the only light that escaped was straight down through a diffuser, so even with 60 or 75 watt bulbs, not much light got into the room. And, you can see, several decades of the heat from the bulbs, and grime circulating (smokers lived here for a lot of that time), the ceiling is pretty discolored.

Again, all I had to do was loosen the screws, turn the fixture so it came off with the screws coming through the keyholes. Whoever installed them had just wrapped the connections with black tape (the basement was finished by the original owner). I clipped off the exposed end of the wire with the tape residue, stripped 3/4" or so, twisted it together with the wire on the new fixture, and screwed on the wirenut. Maybe 20 minutes apiece. But you can see that the new fixture has the same standard screwholes, so the existing screws were already in the right place.

They are not pretty, but there's like 10 times as much light -- the light comes out every direction but up and what goes up lights the ceiling. And I'm using my modified LED bulbs.

I think I paid about $10 apiece for the fixtures about 2 years ago.

I'm wondering if it's a California thing that Steve isn't seeing fixtures with bulb sockets.

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
And just for the sake of nostalgia, here is my kitchen ceiling fixture. It, too, has two LED bulbs. Mrs. pj put in some really bright ones that are very blue-ish. I'm not a big fan, but they do light up the place.

I might add some cheap-and-cheerful undercabinet lights over the counter where most of the food prep is done. I put one over the stove a while back.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeeLady:
SK, speaking of under the cabinet lighting, I put in battery opperated LED strip lights from IKEA. I bought the $12 model. Smiler

Stotta Lights from IKEA

That’s nice! I bought an undercabinet clock radio/CD player that has a light with 2 settings. Very helpful on many counts.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9800 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Here is a part of the undercabinet lights in the rental where we live now:

It is pretty basic, consisting of 2-light units under each cabinet with wires held up with sticky tape. The interesting part is the white dimmer on the countertop in the front left. The units plug in behind the fridge and this little switch controls all of the lights. In addition, each light box has a rocker switch for off/on if the dimmer switch wasn't there.

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post