well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    On 'spree shootings'

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

On 'spree shootings'
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
One wonders how much of this is cultural contagion. Remember in earlier decades we had far more political assassinations, far more than today. Same with hi-jackings and serial killers.

One wonders if the supply of crazy people who do such things is more stable than we think, but the outlets (and resultant casualties) change with the 'fashion' of the time.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Of course the 'fashionable methods' would change in part due to changes in the ease of pulling off the methods. Important politicians are harder to kill than before, hijackings much harder, guns easier and easier.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
In the Dawkinsian sense, these are memes.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Bombings are another example. We had a wave in the 70s. Not too often these days.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting the methods are interchangeable, and its the same profile of perp doing all of them. I just that, by looking at a single method at a time, we might miss something important.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Makes sense.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
Yes, it makes sense.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15513 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Makes sense to me too.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20462 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Why they kill. Things we should do.

https://www.politico.com/news/...hooters-q-a-00035762

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
we might miss something important.

Speculate?

If the something important is important in coming up with a fix, that's ... important!

The things we came up with to fix earlier problems tended to be specific to the issues of the times. The political assassinations and bombings led to changes in security procedures (around public figures), and changes in national security procedures to help identify and neutralize the groups that were involved (Red Guards, etc). Highjacking led to changes in air travel procedures, first with armed air marshals and then on to TSA and taking off shoes. Not sure these earlier "fixes" worried too much about broader connections.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post