well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Famous movies that you only just recently saw?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Famous movies that you only just recently saw?
 Login/Join

Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Qaanaaq-Liaaq
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that was it. My memory must have failed me.

Posts: 1411 | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:
The Quiet Man

I've never heard of this movie...

Re My Fair Lady, I don't think I've seen the whole thing... But "it's long" as the primary reaction doesn't encourage... Big Grin

The Quiet Man is set in Ireland. Would have to be rewritten
due to the way the main character treats his love
interest.

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25705 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Quiet Man was shot in the village of Cong, IIRC. There's a shop on the corner where they'll dress up like the characters in the movie and take your picture. We saw tourists running around in town quoting lines from the movie.

Trivia: The Protestant church in town is nicer (and older) than the Catholic church - the original Catholic church being little more than a pile of rocks at that point. The two congregations exchanged buildings for a few months while the movie was being shot and it was a lot more complicated to do than you might think.

This picture was taken in Cong:

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34965 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Great photo!

I read about The Quiet Man on Wiki, and I learned a new word:
"donnybrook"

Yes

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18501 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I loved My Fair Lady when I was a kid. I played the soundtrack as often as I could (usually when I was home alone).

I saw it a few years ago. Sexist as all heck. Especially the ending.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I saw it a few years ago. Sexist as all heck. Especially the ending.

This is a good reason to be selective about re-viewing things we loved from childhood! Big Grin

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18501 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
We haven't been watching movies lately--been sucked into binging old series. Our latest was The West Wing, followed by a new miniseries "Unbelievable" on Netflix. Re: the latter, it's about a rapist and what happens when people report the rape and when law enforcement tries to find the guy. It's good, but imo 1 hour too long. Either way I'd recommend it unless you are really squeamish about the topic. There's no graphic shots of the assaults, but there are quick cutaways that serve to highlight the fear more than anything else. So be warned, if you think that would be a problem.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post