well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Famous movies that you only just recently saw?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Famous movies that you only just recently saw?
 Login/Join

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted
What are some famous movies that you have only just recently seen? I'll start!

I have taken to watching Amazon Prime while I'm on my treadmill, so often I'll watch something longer over two or more "sessions."

I just finished Sense and Sensibility, the 1995 one with Emma Thompson, Hugh Grant,
Alan Rickman and Kate Winslet (among others).

I also had never read the book. Wow, what a great movie! Who knew? Obviously, everyone but me... suave

Who's next? Smiler

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Qaanaaq-Liaaq
posted Hide Post
I saw the movie “Fried Green Tomatoes” recently. I missed seeing it when it came out in 1991 so I saw it for the first time. I liked it a lot.

Concerning the food entrée fried green tomatoes: Yes, they’re good. A restaurant in my city that serves southern style food has it on their menu. Just like the movie “Sweet Bean” inspired me to try dorayaki.

Posts: 1411 | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
The Big Lebowski.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I have never seen the Big Lebowski.

QL,
quote:
Just like the movie “Sweet Bean” inspired me to try dorayaki.

I always recommend this movie to student even though I hadn't seen it myself, but we finally watched this recently! And of course it made us really crave Dorayaki! You can find them frozen in most Asian grocery stores, but there's nothing better than getting one freshly made.... Yummy

Separate from that, I thought it was a great movie. I moved to Japan in 1996, which is when all of the "leprosy prevention" laws were repealed, so I still remember watching the news about it all, and then for many years the various related lawsuits that were filed against the government for discrimination etc....

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Qaanaaq-Liaaq
posted Hide Post
The short infomercial (I suppose you can call it) within “Sweet Bean” was informing. Most people including myself didn’t know much about leprosy. It's now called Hansen’s disease. It’s a horrible disease but it can be cured if caught early. I think there are one or two leper colonies still operating in the U.S.

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
The short infomercial (I suppose you can call it) within “Sweet Bean” was informing.

Oh, that wasn't included in the version we watched! (on Amazon Prime). Too bad, I'm curious.

quote:
I think there are one or two leper colonies still operating in the U.S.

Really?? Are the "hold-overs" from previous enforced isolation, where the people there had no where else to go and so they stayed?

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I watched The Grapes of Wrath for the first time right before Covid on an airplane.

Also I finally saw The Matrix during covid.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Grapes of Wrath

Never seen it!

quote:
The Matrix during covid.

Yeah, that's a little late! Big Grin

I'm pretty sure I saw that (and maybe the second one??) in an actual movie theater (in Japan).

Ahh, movie theaters... I haven't been to a movie in a theater since... well, since before 2015.

Blink

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Saw The Quiet Man on Prime Video. There are fans that know every line.
Saw The Grapes of Wrath and the Matrix a couple of years ago.
Prime Video has a lot of classics available including Bergman and Fellini. I get the urge to watch that sort of movie occasionally.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I saw The Grapes of Wrath on an airplane a while back. Also To Kill a Mockingbird. I saw that back when BA had individual VCRs in First and you told the flight attendant what movie to bring you. So I guess it wasn’t that recently, but definitely in mid-adulthood and a long time after it came out.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Even though I've played in the pit orchestra for a production of "My Fair Lady", I'd never seen the whole movie version until last week.

It's long!

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7556 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Quiet Man

I've never heard of this movie...

Re My Fair Lady, I don't think I've seen the whole thing... But "it's long" as the primary reaction doesn't encourage... Big Grin

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I watched Jane Eyre on YouTube yesterday. I never read the novel so it was an experience. Lol.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Qaanaaq-Liaaq
posted Hide Post
ShiroKuro:

When I was in the army, an NCO told me that the U.S. government operates two leper colonies in Louisiana. I don’t know if what he said was correct or not. I don’t know if they’re for veterans only.

Infomercial is the wrong word. It’s more of a short expose within the movie. It's been a couple of years since I've seen the movie but as I remember, the expose is shown on a TV screen so it’s like a movie within a movie.

You didn’t see the expose scene? Did you rent a DVD or use streaming? Personally, I won’t watch DVDs. The one time I did, it was skipping over scenes in the movie. If I hadn’t seen the movie before, I wouldn’t have known it was skipping scenes. The problem with rental DVDs is that 2,000 people have rented it before you. Some could have mishandled and damaged the DVD by spilling their beer on it or tossing it around like a frisbee.

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
use streaming

We watched it on Amazon Prime. There was a scene where Wakana goes to the library and she and her friend are reading about Hansen's Disease and the discriminatory government policies that patients experienced. Maybe that's what you're thinking of?