well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Nine Year Old Charged with Murder

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nine Year Old Charged with Murder
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted
For Setting Fire to his Mobile Home

quote:
Woodford County State’s Attorney Greg Minger hasn’t said why he chose to charge the boy with murder and why his decision came more than six months after the fire.

Greg Minger has no heart. I'll go as far as claiming he is a truly despicable and evil man.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
WTF

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
I'm deeply confused. It appears that the fact that he was charged with murder is of no legal consequence, because he's not even old enough to be sent to juvenile jail.

So is the issue purely semantic?

This may be part and parcel of the fact that some crimes are deemed to be committed if the person knew what they are doing, even if they didn't realize or understand the consequences. Example: if you have several drinks and get behind the wheel, you can be charged with murder, even if you really didn't intend to hurt anyone, because you knew that there was a risk of killing someone when driving impaired and you consciously ignored the risk.

So, if I were to put myself in the prosecutor's shoes, I would say that he's probably thinking that even a nine year-old knows what can happen when you start a fire. And he's hampered to some degree by his inability to question the kid before trial to try to determine whether he really knew what could happen when you start a fire.

So, I'm not sure I'd have done what this prosecutor did, but I don't have the same feeling of disgust and revulsion that you seem to have. I may be missing something, and I've dug no deeper than the article itself, but it seems to me that the decision to charge murder instead of manslaughter is without legal consequence. If that's correct, one wonders why the prosecutor did it, but I'm also not repelled by the decision.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Though the boy is too young to be incarcerated, if he is convicted and violates terms of probation a judge can sentence him to county detention once he’s 10 years old and state juvenile prison if he’s 13.

The stage is set for a completely destroyed life. Prosecutor knew that.

Did you ever play with matches? I did. Found out the hard way that you drop the burning match if the base of the fire is near enough to the skin. And then you discover that rugs burn while you think about what to do, in a panicked mode.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
quote:
Though the boy is too young to be incarcerated, if he is convicted and violates terms of probation a judge can sentence him to county detention once he’s 10 years old and state juvenile prison if he’s 13.

The stage is set for a completely destroyed life. Prosecutor knew that.

Did you ever play with matches? I did. Found out the hard way that you drop the burning match if the base of the fire is near enough to the skin. And then you discover that rugs burn while you think about what to do, in a panicked mode.

That sounds to me like, only if he violates the terms of his probation. Hopefully, they are not setting him up to do that.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
It was determined the fire was intentional. Now I am not sure what constitutes intentional in Illinois, but that I suspect has a lot to do with the charge.

Sad and painful all around. No winners are possible here.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13559 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Wonder whether the kid has done other things.
My former wife had a six year old throw a heavy wooden chair at her. She ducked.
The child's mother was afraid of him.
Doubt we will ever know about the kid that started the fire.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
That must have been one immense six-year old! HairRaising

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
That must have been one immense six-year old! HairRaising

His size was never mentioned.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
More reporting, FWIW....

https://www.rrstar.com/news/20...-year-old-imprisoned

https://abc7chicago.com/child-...deadly-fire/5603059/

quote:
The mother of a 9-year-old Illinois boy charged with murder in a mobile home fire that killed five says her son is not "a monster".

In interviews Thursday with local and national media, the mother says the boy "made a terrible mistake," adding "he's a child."

The April 6 fire near the central Illinois village of Goodfield killed a 1-year-old, two 2-year-olds, a 34-year-old man and a 69-year-old woman.

The 28-year-old mother says her son suffers from schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and attention deficit disorder.

https://www.peoriapublicradio....d-murder-not-monster

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
quote:
The 28-year-old mother says her son suffers from schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and attention deficit disorder.

AT NINE?!?!?!?!

I'm thinking we need to keep Chuckie here on a short leash.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13559 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post