well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Jakarta Will Be Mostly Underwater by 2050

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Jakarta Will Be Mostly Underwater by 2050
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted
A city of 10 million people, and North Jakarta is predicted to be 95% underwater by 2050. A combination of rising water and sinking land, all produced by climate change and population growth.

quote:
The city is sinking—a process known as land subsidence—because residents and industries have been draining aquifers, often illegally, to the point that the land is now collapsing. Think of it like a giant underground water bottle: If you empty too much of it and give it a good squeeze, it’s going to buckle. Accordingly, parts of Jakarta are sinking by as much as 10 inches a year.

That’s destabilizing buildings in the short term—some structures have sunk straight down, enveloping their lower levels in mud—but in the long term it means that about half the city is now beneath sea level. All it takes is one storm surge to inundate a huge chunk of the metropolis: In 2007, for instance, a monsoon left half of Jakarta under as much as 13 feet of water, causing more than half a billion dollars in damage.

https://www.wired.com/story/ja...&utm_source=facebook

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Well, the same is likely to happen closer to home in Norfolk Virginia, which is also sinking. I wouldn't be investing in coastal property at this time.

Santa Fe is looking fine ... Big Grin

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Piano*Dad:
Well, the same is likely to happen closer to home in Norfolk Virginia, which is also sinking. I wouldn't be investing in coastal property at this time.

Santa Fe is looking fine ... Big Grin

Re: coastal property, Mary Anna and I have already concluded that a beach retirement isn't in the cards.

And yeah, I wouldn't want to be at Old Dominion about now. And, if I were a professor and there were a job opening at Old Dominion, I wouldn't apply for it. However, Norfolk's population is 242,000. Jakarta is nearly 10 million. And Jakarta is the national capital.

(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
And, if I were a professor and there were a job opening at Old Dominion, I wouldn't apply for it.

When I was on the job market, there were some places I had already decided I wouldn't consider for those kinds of reasons.

Back to the topic at hand though, yes, Jakarta is a huge city, this is rather terrifying really.

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
People locally say that the ocean is rising. I haven't seen any evidence of it, at all.

Then again, I've only lived here for 18 years. Maybe I just haven't noticed it yet.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Relocating the capital to Borneo island seems like a good move. ThumbsUp ThumbsUp

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12692 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post