well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    New Monument for D.C.

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Monument for D.C.
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted
The story:
https://www.washingtonpost.com...y-women-memorial-dc/

This is about how, as a fifth grader, a student Raya Kennedy conceived the idea of a monument to honor the women who worked on the home front during WW II (i.e., women who answered the call to pick up the jobs that men used to do after the men went to fight WW II; think "Rosie the Riveter"). Now the former student is twenty years old and Congress passed the omnibus legislation that includes approving her proposed monument.

There is a picture embedded in the article that shows a 14 year old Kenneth with a model for the monument.

The foundation:
https://wwiiwomenmemorial.org/

Yes, there is a "DONATE" button at the foundation website if you feel like donating.

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12692 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Wow!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18542 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
What a great idea!

Posts: 35380 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Big John
posted Hide Post
How cool to get your monument idea approved and funded in 5th grade! Like the "V" theme too.

Another day in Paradise.

Posts: 3902 | Registered: 14 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Very cool.

And, of course:

“ It passed the House almost unanimously, with 425 members voting for it and only Rep. Thomas Massie (R-Ky.) voting no.”

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big John:
How cool to get your monument idea approved and funded in 5th grade! Like the "V" theme too.
No funding from Congress for the monument. The article mentions a law prohibiting Congress from funding monuments. That why there is a foundation setup to raise funds for it.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12692 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post