well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    The war in Ukraine continues

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The war in Ukraine continues
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Ukrainian media outlets and social media users have speculated that a top Russian commander has been captured as Kyiv's counteroffensive against Moscow's forces gathers pace.

Images and video shared on Twitter and Telegram purportedly show Lieutenant General Andrei Sychevoi among a group of Russian troops handcuffed on their knees with one social media user saying they were near Balakliya, in the Kharkiv region.

https://www.newsweek.com/russi...re-commander-1741356

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
If Ukraine secures Kupyansk, the RuZZians are in big trouble.

And after all the talk of a huge Kherson offensive, the breakthrough takes place halfway across the country near Kharkiv!

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Be a damn shame if the Ukrainians kicked Russia's ass.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13560 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Ukrainian forces have captured an estimated 2,500 square kilometers in Kharkiv Oblast in the Kharkiv area counteroffensive as of September 9. Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky and Ukrainian Commander-in-Chief Valery Zaluzhnyi stated on September 8 that Ukrainian forces liberated over 1,000 square kilometers between September 1-8 – a day before Ukrainian forces reached the southern approach to Kupyansk and the Oskil River on September 9. Ukrainian forces are likely clearing pockets of disorganized Russian forces caught in the rapid Ukrainian advance to Kupyansk, Izyum, and the Oskil River, given the influx of observed pictures of Russian prisoners of war in the past 48 hours. Ukrainian forces may collapse Russian positions around Izyum if they sever Russian ground lines of communication (GLOCs) north and south of Izyum. Ukrainian forces continued to advance on Kupyansk and towards Izyum on September 9, and are undertaking measures to isolate the Russian Izyum grouping of forces. If Ukrainians are successful in severing the Russian GLOCs, then they will have an opportunity to create a cauldron around Izyum and collapse a major portion of the Russian positions in northeastern Ukraine.

https://www.understandingwar.org/

quote:
Russia's defense ministry shared video showing military vehicles that it said were rushing to the aid of its forces in the east, while a Moscow-installed official in the region conceded that Ukrainian troops had made gains.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/w...-land-east-rcna46805

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
The famous Monty Python line comes to mind ... RUN AWAY!!!

Fleeing Russian tank

It doesn't end well.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Russia’s Defense Ministry announced Saturday that it was pulling back troops from two areas in Ukraine’s eastern Kharkiv region where a Ukrainian counteroffensive has made significant advances in the past week.

https://apnews.com/article/rus...26ed4105b5f32827f577

Putin can't be happy with this. I wonder what he might decide to do.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Qaanaaq-Liaaq
posted Hide Post
If Ukraine should miraculously push the Russians out of Ukraine and a cease fire called, Ukraine had better apply for NATO membership immediately because the Russians just might want to reinvade six months later.

Posts: 1411 | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Ukraine is not eligible for NATO membership because they have disputed borders. From a NATO standpoint it helps to have Ukraine as a proxy.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13560 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Well, in a few months that may no longer be a barrier ...

... unless we start thinking about Bilhorod.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Vladimir Putin's chief envoy on Ukraine told the Russian leader as the war began that he had struck a provisional deal with Kyiv that would satisfy Russia's demand that Ukraine stay out of NATO, but Putin rejected it and pressed ahead with his military campaign, according to three people close to the Russian leadership.

The Ukrainian-born envoy, Dmitry Kozak, told Putin that he believed the deal he had hammered out removed the need for Russia to pursue a large-scale occupation of Ukraine, according to these sources. Kozak's recommendation to Putin to adopt the deal is being reported by Reuters for the first time.

https://www.reuters.com/world/...his-aide-2022-09-14/

Bazootiehead-in-training

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Kozak had better avoid windows, open or closed, first floor (bullet) or eighth floor (defenestration). Assuming the Reuters report is true, the Kremlin will wonder how the news got out, and Kozak and his staff will be prime suspect #1 for the information leak. He may protest his innocence, but ... well, those windows ...

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
For those keeping tabs on such things ...

Amazing number of very depressed Russian oligarchs and other corporate leaders who have fallen out with Putin. Fallen is sometimes the operant word.

When he can, Putin seems to delight in butchering the children of his victims, often in gruesome ways. I suppose it's all logical to him -- part of the payback designed to enforce slavish loyalty.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Qaanaaq-Liaaq:
If Ukraine should miraculously push the Russians out of Ukraine and a cease fire called, Ukraine had better apply for NATO membership immediately because the Russians just might want to reinvade six months later.

It would be a miracle.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhailoh:
Ukraine is not eligible for NATO membership because they have disputed borders. From a NATO standpoint it helps to have Ukraine as a proxy.

Yes, it's a proxy. And, it's a proxy war.

I'm surprised that anyone would trust what the US and UK government are saying about it.

The US government has lied about every war it's been involved in as long as I have been alive starting with Vietnam.

Posts: 24724 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Worth a listen

Yes, it's Gen. Mark Hertling in a Bulwark podcast. Just more MSM drivel.