well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Pattern of COVID symptoms

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pattern of COVID symptoms
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Sore throat, then congestion: Common Covid symptoms follow a pattern now, doctors say

Doctors who treat Covid describe the ways the illness has gotten milder and shifted over time to mostly affect the upper respiratory tract.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health...ctors-say-rcna105090

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37994 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Does this article's description fit with your experience, WTG?

Are you and Mr. W all better, or do you have lingering symptoms?

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18602 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Fits my symptoms. And both the sore throat and the upper airway symptoms were quite mild.

Posts: 12571 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Pretty much describes our symptoms and progression; I had the mild version and Mr wtg had everything much worse. He had the burning throat described in the article as "like nothing he's ever experienced before". Fever, chills and shaking. Bad cough. Extreme fatigue and weakness. Me, not so much.

My symptoms started on August 31, his about four days later. We both continue to have congestion and cough as of today. Diminished sense of smell and taste, too. Energy getting better but it waxes and wanes day to day.

We'll survive. ThumbsUp

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37994 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
We both continue to have congestion and cough as of today. Diminished sense of smell and taste, too. Energy getting better but it waxes and wanes day to day.

Hopefully this part winds down quickly!!

Posts: 18602 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
We’re currently a Covid house. We went on an Alaska cruise (glamorous job I have!). I came home on Saturday Sept. 9 and realized I couldn’t taste my food/wine. Covid positive.

I’ve had what seems like a cold since then; mostly a bit of congestion and phlegmy cough. No Paxlovid for me; it was a pretty mild case.

Mr. AM tested positive on Tuesday, but was feeling punky two days before that. Body aches, phlegmy cough. We got him on Paxlovid as soon as he tested positive. It’s like a miracle drug; he was feeling better quickly. No weird taste side effects for him.

I can taste and smell my food again as of 2 days ago, yay! Still coughing a bit, but I tested negative this morning.

So we are no longer Covid virgins.

I feel like the current strain is more contagious, but milder? Or is that milder bit because of vaccines and immunity for those who’ve had Covid before? We had all the vaxes through last fall’s bivalent booster. Now we have to wait til December for the new vax, since we’ve just had Covid.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9807 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
AdagioM, glad you're both doing better!

quote:
So we are no longer Covid virgins.

We still are, so far.

I'm trying to decide the timing of when to get the new vax. One consideration is that the last time I got one, I felt awful for a few days afterward... Another consideration is we'll probably travel during Christmas/New Year's, so I'd like our vax response to still be strong at that point...

In the meantime, I'm wearing a mask when I teach and when I'm in meetings with multiple people, but other than that my masking is pretty inconsistent.... Which probably isn't good.

-_-

quote:
I feel like the current strain is more contagious, but milder? Or is that milder bit because of vaccines and immunity for those who’ve had Covid before?

Or both? What I'm reading seems to discuss both...

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
The other option is to consider the Novavax, which seems to have fewer side effects.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
The other option is to consider the Novavax, which seems to have fewer side effects.

I'm of mixed minds about that. Even though I have miserable side effects, some professionals seem to believe that's evidence of a stronger reaction by the immune system, which will lead to a stronger immunity response.

I got the RSV vaccination Friday night. Had my usual symptoms yesterday, although not as bad as with either the COVID vaccination or the Shingrix shot.

Posts: 45769 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:

I'm of mixed minds about that. Even though I have miserable side effects, some professionals seem to believe that's evidence of a stronger reaction by the immune system, which will lead to a stronger immunity response.

+1

Also, I want whichever vaccine will be the most effective over the next few months. So I will try to read about Novavax a little more before I decide, but I’m leaning away from it.

Which reminds me, we don’t have a PCP here yet and haven’t even started trying to find one, so I don’t have anyone to consult with. Frowner

I also don’t have anyone to refill my two ongoing migraine prescriptions, which will expire at the end of this year.

One of the hidden (or not so hidden) hassles of moving.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
COVID levels are so high, they’re hovering near 2020’s initial peak, as the WHO urges those at high risk to take any booster they can get their hands on

https://fortune.com/well/2023/...-boosters-high-risk/

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Yikes! I need to be paying more attention!

Well at least I'm doing one thing right -- masking when I teach. I have some meetings coming up this week, guess I'll mask for those too. :/

knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
At least all those cases aren’t as lethal as they were in 2020! Thank goodness for vaccines and other acquired immunity.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9807 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post