well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    I just cannot imagine ...

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I just cannot imagine ...
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted
The callous disregard for life

Speaking of "life," that's the appropriate penalty. I don't care if these "young people" are theoretically redeemable. I don't care if the punishment "ruins" their lives. They should spend the rest of their time incarcerated. If they repent and want to give back to society, that's fine. Just do it behind bars. Zero sympathy.

Posts: 12529 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
Sociopaths.

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
sickening

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21338 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
Yes.

They need to be separated from society for its own protection for the rest of their natural born lives.

An Uber Eats driver down here just got out of prison in another state, delivered food, murdered the man who opened the door, dismembered him, and put his body in garbage bags.

Posts: 24710 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
"According to the arrest affidavit just released Thursday morning, the three suspects had been throwing objects, including a statue, at vehicles since at least February. Investigators said at least one of the suspects admitted to that type of behavior on 10 separate days. "
CBS
Must agree with PD. They cannot be fixed.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
Symptomatic of a breakdown in our society. This is a particularly heinous example of a more widespread depravity and indifference to life. I wonder how this is happening.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7400 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
I agree, it's really horrifying.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18430 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
People capable of such behavior seem to draw an absolute line between themselves and "everyone else" - as if they (we) were a qualitatively different species. Unworthy things.

Beyond mere absence of compassion. They just don't "get it" - that all sentient beings (especially the human ones) are not merely animate but feel catastrophic fear and pain when hurt.

It's as if they differentiate between animate/sentient creatures and mere animations. Makes me think back to the long-standing debate about the effect on youth of violent video games, anime, various kinds of "differentiating" entertainment.

(I'm tending toward attributing such objectification to dehumanizing presentations. G-d forbid AI gets in the admixture so that increasing numbers of people/youth especially, are exposed to more and more realistic images - or even become capable of creating them themselves. Just one of many pernicious potential effects on society of AI.
Blurring the line.)

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Dropping rocks and other debris from overpasses onto passing cars is not a new, post-video game kind of phenomenon. I've seen this sort of behavior reported since I was a kid. Seen it kill people too.

Posts: 12529 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
It’s why highway overpasses are constructed with very tall fencing these days.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
3 charged with murder

Scroll down

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
There was a case a few years ago on Long Island I think, where a guy dropped a frozen turkey from an overpass onto a car and permanently disabled the woman driving.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post