well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    A little dirt time

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A little dirt time
 Login/Join

Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted
So, isn't today supposed to be the first day of spring or something like that?

It's still chilly at night, but not freezing.

So today I planted some seeds: radishes, cilantro, tomatoes, and peppers.

All but the peppers were seeds I'd saved. The tomato seeds were a couple years old. I have no idea if they'll sprout. I had a good crop of cilantro last year and saved a lot of seed. Of course, you can eat them or plant them.

Two years ago, I discovered a very old packet of radish seeds on the bookcase by the front door. I tossed them in a pot and, whaddayaknow, they sprouted. They are the variety called "French breakfast" that are red and white. They were quite peppery when I ate them. I had left a couple in the dirt to see how big the bulbs would get and never got around to pulling them up, so they were there over the winter.

Last year, they were clearly not suitable for eating, so I left them and they bolted. Then I discovered radish seed pods. Yummy! You have to get them when they are young and tender -- they get pretty woody pretty quickly. But, dang! they are tasty. The three or four plants continued to flower and put out seed pods all summer. I brought in at least a quart of pods and let them dry out, then picked the seeds out.

I had planted a bunch last year in a shallow tray on the ground, but the bunnies ate most of them until I finally put some chicken wire around the container. Some of the ones that did grow are still there, so today I weeded the container and I'll let those go and see if they give me nice pods as well.

I'd like to get some icicle radish seeds and do the same thing. I love the daikon sprouts they use at the sushi bar. One year's worth of seed collecting should give me enough to start on a lifetime of making sprouts.

I do think the Babylonians were onto something. Hang your gardens... then you don't have to bend over to pull the weeds. And the bunnies can't get to your radishes.

--------------------------------
pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Equinox is usually the 21st. But jealous of your planting. High for today was 1 above and it's headed back down. At least the sideways whiteout has calmed down in time for barn chores.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I'm jealous.

We had a couple of nice weekends, but we're getting a bit of snow right now.

Planting will have to wait.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
French Breakfast radishes are delish! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
When WTFers start planting it always seems alien to me.
Watching for the next snow storm.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25711 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post