well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Chicken recipe

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chicken recipe
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
Don't have a whole chicken in the freezer but definitely plan to pick one up next time I'm at the store. I have to try this recipe:

https://getpocket.com/explore/...source=pocket-newtab

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37972 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
I'd like to hear what you think of it. Everytime I've had chicken cooked in a slow cooker it tasted like it had been boiled.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34979 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I hear you on slow cooking; I had pretty much given up on it, even to the point of getting rid of my slow cookers. I figured I can just use the slow cooker setting on the Instant Pot.

I'm expecting it to taste poached, but I also think that browning the skin ahead of time will add some good flavor. That, plus the ginger and basil and coconut milk. We'll see what happens.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37972 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Why not just put in a huge amount of good curry powder and be done with it? You'd also most likely have something like turmeric which will color the skin (which usually doesn't happen during slow cooking, leaving you with an unappetizing pinky/white carcass).

I'm with Steve, I'll be interested in how it comes out. I've used slow cookers a LOT, but only when the recipe was something like a stew. Everything slow-cooked always had the same texture, and I'd add a bajillion spices to get a strong flavor.

Posts: 35383 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I love curry, but I have tons of Instant Pot recipes for curries and wanted the Thai flavor profile. I was curious about this one because of the pre-browning you do of the skin. Just seemed like it would add flavor to the whole dish. They make it a point to tell you not to submerge the chicken, I think to avoid the boiled effect.

Besides, I'm up for an experiment!

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Mikhailoh
posted Hide Post
Sounds delicious. I think I’d make it Thai basil. I just happen to have a whole chicken and some coconut milk.

"A mob is a place where people go to get away from their conscience" Atticus Finch

Posts: 13564 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post