well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Help Mr SK choose a new Laptop?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help Mr SK choose a new Laptop?
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Costco has deals on computers all the time.

This one looked kind of interesting:

https://www.costco.com/msi-pre...oduct.100796373.html

Here's the current crop of laptops on sale:

https://www.costco.com/laptops...22_0613_Gaming_Event

I know you're not currently a Costco member, but it might be worth the $60 to join even if there isn't a warehouse nearby.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37940 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
We'll look at Lenovo too, thanks Mik and Lisa.

Ax, I'm starting this the specs to look for are i7 processor, 32g ram, and 1T SSD ... wonder how expensive that is, years ago SS was super expensive, hope it's less now as it's become more common....

Thanks for those links, WTG, I'll keep Costco in mind as well.

I've never heard of MSI before. Hmm

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Looking at the Costco list I see that going from 16GB to 32GB adds about $100 to the price.

This seems like a bargain to me. I have never had a laptop break, but I have retired several that couldn’t keep up with the demands placed on them by newer programs. 32GB ram will add a bit of future-proofing.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34971 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
I stick with ThinkPads because I need the best keyboard available. The ThinkPad line has everything from convertibles to business machines to creatives options.

I would caution you that the newer intel graphics chips cause terrible eye strain and headaches for *some* people. I tried out 3 of them and had to send them back for this reason. Even hooking up to an external monitor doesn't fix the problem, as it isn't a screen issue, but a chip issue.

So he should definitely get a machine that allows a full refund and pre-paid shipping both ways.

Lenovo, which makes ThinkPad, was having a big spring sale recently. They do free shipping and free returns when you buy from them directly.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looking at the Costco list I see that going from 16GB to 32GB adds about $100 to the price.

This seems like a bargain to me.

Me too! Now I need to look at what the 1T HDs cost, a lot of models I've seen are 512GB.

piqué, that's good advice, thanks!

Re the keyboards, I am pretty sure he uses his external keyboard most of the time, but a reasonable keyboard and trackpad is important for when we travel (assuming we ever do again... :/

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Mr. SK found this Toshiba w/ 1T SSD, i7, 32GB of RAM. Has anyone ever bought a laptop from Amazon?

If you buy from Amazon and upgrade (e.g., change from 16 to 32 GB), they give you this message:

quote:
This laptop is upgraded from a brand new base model. The manufacturer box is opened and resealed to install the parts to achieve the specifications as advertised. Three-year warranty for upgraded RAM / SSD from Issaquah Highlands Tech. One-year original warranty for the remaining components from Toshiba Dynabook. 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB M.2 PCIe SSD

Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Also, I thought W11 was out, but this laptop has W10, should we be concerned about that at all?

Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
W11 is a free upgrade from W10.

I bought the ASUS from Amazon. I had it in 2 days.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Mark, thanks!

I think Mr. SK really wants to go with what he knows. We'll see, there's not a huge rush, although I want him to purchase sooner rather than later, before his current laptop ceases to function.

Gadfly
Picture of Lisa
posted Hide Post
Honestly, I have heard that Windows 11 isn't super stable yet and I know it isn't supported by some of the software I use. Maybe that has changed -- I haen't looked in a few months -- but I haven't upgraded yet and don't plan to any time soon. It is a free upgrade as Mark said, so when I decide to, it won't cost extra.

The new laptop that we just got for LL#2 has Windows 11 and I'm hoping it will be ok -- he doesn't use the same software that I do so I'm hoping he'll be fine (and I can see if he has issues in general - he can be the guinea pig!)

Posts: 4404 | Location: Suburban Philly, PA | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
Mr. Pique upgraded to Windows 11 (involuntarily--you have to watch out or microsoft will just do it to you without you asking) and says he likes it just fine. he's in IT and doesn't find it to be at all buggy so far.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
My new laptop has Windows 11.

I am going to upgrade one of my VR simulation / gaming computers to Windows 11 this week.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
My mother has W11 as well, which is the only reason I had it on my radar in the first place. My main laptop is a work-issue one, so it's enterprise (do they still call it that??) and will be W10 until they're ready.