well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    EG 5 (Eris)

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

EG 5 (Eris)
 Login/Join

"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted
Well, I really don't know if I have that variant or some other strain ...

This is round two for me. So far, it's just a bit of a cold with a touch of creepy-crawly skin at night (right now). I started coming down with it Sunday night into Monday morning. Of course, it had to happen while I'm here in Santa Fe trying to have a good time before the semester starts ...

I tested this morning with our own swab kit brought from home. The sucker was slam bang positive. But our previous renters were in the TV business and we found a bunch of PCR tests. They must have been testing constantly. So I used one of those just to be sure ... hah, hah, hah. Yes, it was positive as well.

Posts: 12552 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear this! Hope it stays mild and resolved quickly!

Our semester starts this week. I have wore a mask all last week for the various orientation session I attended, and I wore a mask to teach in today.

I still have not had covid (to my knowledge).

We’ll see how long that lasts…

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18581 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
Sorry to hear this! Hope it stays mild and resolved quickly!

Ditto

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25723 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Last night wasn't my best night's sleep. Irritated airways and feeling mildly warm. But still pretty much a nothing burger as diseases go.

Now I'm spending lots of time in the garden watching the Pinon Jays snagging whole peanuts!

Posts: 12552 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
COVID update:

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/23...-wellness/index.html

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37972 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear you got hit by it, but glad to hear that it's not awful for you.

Posts: 45759 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Sorry you got it, glad it’s not real bad.

Get well soon! ThumbsUp

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34979 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
How are you feeling, P*D?

My neighbor was in Las Vegas a few weeks ago, an annual trip with some of his old college buddies. He's had the initial two shots plus one booster, but nothing recently. He came home with COVID.

Extreme fatigue, bit of a cough, and a little fever. He went to urgent care and he decided to go with Paxlovid. Said he's feeling fine now. Doesn't seem to have had the rebound effect.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37972 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
I'm dealing with it. Same thing last night. Mildly warm and a little stuffy. Really nothing more than an irritant. It's a fairly mild viral infection. I have no interest in Paxlovid for something this "cold-like."

I'm still cooped up at home, of course. I have a long zoom "retreat" today. So much fun.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
An update from Topol.

https://erictopol.substack.com...8223&isFreemail=true

Key points:

quote:
The impact of these striking differences [in spike mutations] will be immune escape—that is more difficult for our immune response to recognize this variant even with prior vaccinations, boosters, and infections—because it is new and different. It’s still SARS-CoV-2 so we have build some immunity, especially via our cellular T-cell system that is less sensitive to variants. But the rapid ability to neutralize the virus depends on antibodies, and the levels of those neutralizing antibodies are bound to be much lower against BA.2.86 than versions of the virus we have previously been espied to or immunized against. Also to note, the burden of new mutations for BA.2.86 is not confined to the spike and is seen broadly across other components of the virus.

The XBB.1.5 update booster would have been quite useful because it matches up pretty well to EG.5 and FL.1.5.1 (gaining in the US) with only a few mutations that differ, but it isn’t likely to be as helpful against BA.2.86. If BA.2.86 takes off, it will be a real test of how good our T-cell response can rev up to meet the challenge.

quote:
How infectious is BA.2.86?
That’s what we don’t know yet and is the key to how this will play out.

quote:
Chasing Variants Doesn’t Work Well
The strategy of picking a spike variant for the mRNA booster at one point in time and making that at scale, going through regulatory approval, and then for it to be given 3 or more months later is far from optimal, as the BA.2.86 story reinforces. By the time the XBB.1.5 monovalent booster shot is ready in mid-September we may already be facing BA.2.86’s rise. We desperately need to pursue a variant-proof vaccine and there are over 50 candidate templates from broad neutralizing antibodies that academic labs have published over the last couple of years.

quote:
At the moment there’s no reason for alarm. The current wavelet in the US (which could certainly pick up steam) is not likely driven by the XBB descendants of EG.5.1 or FL.1.5.1. We know well the mitigating factors that work against all respiratory viruses. What we’ll see in the weeks ahead is whether BA.2.86 takes hold or not. If it does, that will pose a new challenge, and make the “updated” booster shots considerably less helpful than what was conceived when XBB.1.5 was selected as the target.

Someday, we might use our intelligence and resources to get ahead of this virus, but for soon what will be 4 years, and certainly right now, it’s out-running us.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Beatification Candidate
Picture of rontuner
posted Hide Post
Mom and another woman working at the food pantry both got Covid last week. Mom's was just a lot of sneezing, while her friend got hit worse and went with Paxlovid. After treatment, she feels fine but has much less stamina than before...

Visit me on the Web!
www.ronkoval.com

Posts: 7557 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Besides COVID, seems like there are a bunch of other bugs floating around. My neighbors (husband, wife, and two kids under age 10) all got strep a few weeks ago. They were pretty sick.

Bazootiehead-in-training

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
In addition to my annual flu shot, I will get the RSV vaccine. I'm still undecided about getting another Covid shot given all the uncertainty about its targeting and effectiveness, its sometimes nasty side effects, and the fact that round 2 of Covid hasn't floored me like the flu would.