well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    RIP Chick Corea

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RIP Chick Corea
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
Chick Corea, the virtuosic keyboardist who broadened the scope of jazz during a career spanning more than five decades, died on Tuesday from a rare form of cancer. A post on his Facebook page confirmed the news. Corea was 79.

https://www.rollingstone.com/m...-corea-obit-1127283/

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shut up and play your guitar!
Minor Deity
Picture of markj
posted Hide Post
Frowner

I have seen him many times. Sad day for sure. He seemed so healthy in his latest videos.

Rest in Peace, Chick. Thanks for all the incredible, ground breaking music.

Posts: 13634 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Saw him play with Bela Fleck before the pandemic shut things down. He seemed as hale as always.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Oh no!!!!!! Frowner

He's someone I've always listened to, and he played a huge role in the career of one of my favorite jazz pianists (Hiromi Uehara). And then past Christmas, I received as a present the score book for his collection called "Children's Songs" and I've been playing through them for fun and so more recently he's really been part of my piano-orbit....

This makes me so sad!!!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18524 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
He was a pioneer.

Farewell, Chick.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
One of the best concerts I've ever seen, in my entire life... he played with the Oregon Symphony, Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue with a huge and amazing improv section that went on for about 20 minutes or more.

What a loss. I'm so very sad I won't ever be able to hear him play live again.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nina:
One of the best concerts I've ever seen, in my entire life... he played with the Oregon Symphony, Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue with a huge and amazing improv section that went on for about 20 minutes or more.

What a loss. I'm so very sad I won't ever be able to hear him play live again.

Is there a recording of him playing Rhapsody in Blue? One didn't immediately pop up via Google.

Posts: 12539 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Couldn't find recordings of Rhapsody in Blue, only event schedules for the concert with the Seattle Symphony.

But if you're up for a little Gershwin-Mozart improvisation from just a month ago....

https://www.classicfm.com/musi...ozart-improvisation/

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37941 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Jack Frost
posted Hide Post
Huge loss. Great artist. So versatile.

Jf

Be calm, be brave, it'll be okay.

Posts: 17680 | Location: Maine | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
I am reluctant to speak ill of the dead, but after the last time I saw him here in Pittsburgh, I resolved never to see him or buy any of his music again.

He performed on the Manchester Craftsmens' Guild stage and was arrogant and dismissive of the audience, referring to his performance as just a rehearsal for an upcoming appearance in a larger venue.

I had a time when I compared notes about performances with some of the staff at that venue who told me that they would never invite him back there to perform again. His attitude had permanently soured any relationship they had with him.

I hope he finds a venue more to his liking wherever he is now.

Big Al

Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7413 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Wow, I'm sorry to hear that, Big Al--that was not my experience. In fact, it's about the opposite of mine. I'd feel the same way if I was in that audience, though.

P*D - I'm not aware of any recordings. It's not unusual for the Oregon Symphony to record their concerts for broadcast on our local NPR station, but I didn't notice if they did for this one. There's nothing on their website.

Posts: 35378 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post