well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Local City Council Meeting on Race

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Local City Council Meeting on Race
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of BeeLady
posted
My own city, a motion was raised to declare racism a public health crisis in our very diverse city. It went down 5-4 along not such unexpected lines...We are an old white boy network here...Though one councilor is long past her expiration date...She still gets many elder voters automatically.

She was recently quoted that she didn't think race was an issue in town as she hadn't been called about it...Typically folks call her about stop signs or trash issues etc...I'm PRETTY sure no one is going to call her on race issues..just sayin'.

So Tuesday, she as quoted regarding the motion (which she voted down)..the meeting was public on Zoom. Best part is the last line..From the local paper:

"“If we’re talking about Alabama, then, yes, it’s a crisis,” said Councilor Rita Mercier. "But Lowell, not so much", she said.

“Oh, my god I hate you,” said a voice over the Zoom call, who appeared to be a speaker from the public comment session that had been left unmuted. " Big Grin

Any local coverage in your town?

--------------------------------
"Wealth is like manure; spread it around and it makes everything grow; pile it up, and it stinks."
MillCityGrows.org

Posts: 11215 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
Our Board of Health declared racism a public health issue at the end of June this year. This area was a terminus point for the Underground Railroad and our municipality is home to two of the first Black settlements in Canada. The remaining population of Black folks is small, but in recent years has made a huge push to be more visible in the community and I think their voices are beginning to be more present in decision making for the municipality. Progress is slow.

--------------------------------
"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4092 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post