well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    On SCOTUS and the election

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

On SCOTUS and the election
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted
Breyer, RBG, Thomas could easily end up being replaced in the next term. Assuming that happens...

If Biden wins and chooses pretty lefty folks (and they get confirmed), it's conceivable that the center of the court would be Elena Kagan.

If Trump wins and chooses pretty righty folks (and they get confirmed), it's conceivable that the center of the court would be Neil Gorsuch.

Wow and wow.

--------------------------------
If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Gorsuch is scary.

Thomas is only 72, I think. Has been around far too long.
Breyer is 81.
RGB is not doing well.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25702 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
I bet my lunch money that:

a) the Federalist Society has already compiled a short list of nominees for SCOTUS justices and vetted them thoroughly and have already put them through hours of practice confirmation hearings, and

b) if I-1 loses the election and if RBG dies or is incapacitated before January 20, 2021, Moscow Mitch will hold confirmation hearings... even if she dies on January 19, he will call an emergency session to confirm her replacement (as if anyone needed any further proof that he is a hypocrite and completely corrupt).

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30038 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
(A) was done even before the last election. Well not the practice hearings.

(B) remember the new congress takes over Jan 3. So if we take the senate that will shorten the amount of time they have.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Joni Ernst would support ...

ramming it through in a lame duck session even if Trump lost the presidency and the Republicans lost the Senate.

At least the f*cking hypocrite essentially says, "yeah, I'm a f*ching hypocrite, nah nah nah nah nah."

Posts: 12529 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
The problem with that, besides the hypocrisy of it, is it would vastly increase the support for a court packing proposal of some sort. Which I think would be a disaster.