well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Proposed vehicle tax in Illinois
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Proposed vehicle tax in Illinois
 Login/Join

Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Hey wait, I own an EV! I have cred on this topic. First, depending on your location, you may not have to pay to charge your car. Here in crunchy green PDX, there are many places where you can get a free charge. There are also places where you pay. I charge about 75% at home, and about 25% at work, for "free." So the notion of adding a surcharge to a public charging station will not catch all the EV generating power. And, FWIW, we generate all our power plus some from solar about 6 months out of the year, and some other fraction less than 100% the remainder. So I'm not paying electricity taxes all the time, either.

I also agree that we all pay for infrastructure, and we should all pay. Yes, my kids are now out of school but I still pay for schools, school bonds, etc. I live here, and I don't want to live with a bunch of poorly educated people with no real future.

I am OK, in theory, with the notion of paying a bit extra to register an EV, in order to cover the road use fees, if that's the model being used. But I agree with WTG that the increase is way out of line with what is being charged to your "average" driver, who drives in the neighborhood of 15,000 year. In my model:

Average driver = 15,000 miles/year
@ 25 mpg, that's 600 gallons of gas a year
40c tax on 600 gallons = $240 a year

So yeah, $1000 is way out of line.

Do commercial trucks/18 wheelers pay more? If we're going with use and impact, larger trucks create much more wear and tear on the roads than a passenger vehicle.

I think you can go a bit bananas with all the flavors of designer taxation that might be possible. But $1000/yr is way too much for an EV surcharge.

Posts: 35377 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post