well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Proposed vehicle tax in Illinois
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Proposed vehicle tax in Illinois
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
quote:
A proposed hike in Illinois’ annual registration fee for electric vehicles, from $17.50 to $1,000, is being called unfair by current EV owners, and a sales disincentive by manufacturers — just as the new technology is beginning to gain broader traction.

“It’s outrageous,” said Nicoletta Skarlatos, 56, of Chicago, who bought a Tesla Model S five years ago. “I thought Illinois was progressive and would want to encourage EV ownership.”

Aimed at raising money to make overdue road improvements across Illinois, the proposed legislation would also more than double the state’s gas tax to 44 cents a gallon and raise the registration fee for standard vehicles to $148, from $98, among other elements.

But the kicker is a nearly 60-fold increase in the electric vehicle registration fee — one that is sure to cause sticker shock across a nascent segment of the auto industry, which has depended on government incentives to entice early adopters.

Hybrids and plug-in electric hybrids, which both use gas to supplement electric power, are not included in the $1,000 fee proposal.

The justification for the dramatic hike? Electric vehicles don’t provide the state with any gas tax revenue.

“There’s definitely a push, because electric vehicles don’t pay any gas taxes,” said Pete Sander, president of the Illinois Automobile Dealers Association.

https://www.chicagotribune.com...-20190509-story.html

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37961 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
Pushback on a crazy car tax is what got the Governator elected a few years back. As it turned out it was one pf the best things that ever happened to California.

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34975 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Well, it’s not that crazy in the sense that the model of a gas tax paying for roads doesn’t work on all-electric vehicles.

But yeah, I can imagine it’s quite a shock.

Honestly I see both sides of this.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33801 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
Get rid of the gas tax. Stop taxing drivers to pay for transportation costs. Everyone--whether they drive or not--benefits from good roads. Get the money from property taxes or income tax.

http://www.twistandvibrations.blogspot.com/

Posts: 10575 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
Well, it’s not that crazy in the sense that the model of a gas tax paying for roads doesn’t work on all-electric vehicles.

But yeah, I can imagine it’s quite a shock.

Honestly I see both sides of this.

Indeed.

Posts: 45754 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bernard:
Get rid of the gas tax. Stop taxing drivers to pay for transportation costs. Everyone--whether they drive or not--benefits from good roads. Get the money from property taxes or income tax.

Everyone benefits from good roads, but those who drive on them benefit more.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I think a use tax is reasonable. This just doesn't seem like a very well-thought out solution.

The state gas tax has been 19 cents since 1990. There's legislation pending to raise that to 44 cents. There's also a proposal to raise the annual vehicle registration fee from $98 to $148 for gasoline powered cars (including hybrids). That means that electric vehicle owners would be paying an extra $850 a year. That's like paying the 44 cent per gallon tax on 1900+ gallons of gas. If you take kind of a medium MPG figure of 25, that's equivalent to driving more than 48,000 miles a year, which I think is high. But I have three year old car with 7500 miles, so what do I know? (I also didn't double-check my math, so I may have gone south somewhere there...)

It's also pretty rotten to have been encouraging electric vehicles by setting a low yearly registration fee and then to go in a completely opposite direction and end up penalizing owners. Do we want people to go back to gasoline engines?

The most fair approach would be to at least give a break to current electric car owners, perhaps something simple like the fee being based on the model year of the car.

And in a perfect world, the registration fee would be based on actual miles driven, but I don't see a practical way to implement that. I do think they should re-think the fee difference between gas and electric vehicles; my gut tells me $850 is too much.

source: https://www.chicagotribune.com...t-tl-0516-story.html

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37961 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
quote:

So people with children benefit more than I do from public schools, therefor they should pay a school tax , that I shouldn't have to pay.

Posts: 10575 | Location: North Groton, NH | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

So people with children benefit more than I do from public schools, therefor they should pay a school tax , that I shouldn't have to pay.

That's a very different thing, because it's funded a tax that pays for many things ... fire, police, schools, libraries, and other public services. Maybe you don't benefit from schools as much, maybe you benefit from libraries more. And who can say who benefits most from police, or fire protection?

Moreover, in many towns where there is a high proportion of senior citizens, schools are terrible ... because the senior citizens band together to vote down school budget increases, and vote out local officials who don't limit budget increases to the services they care about (police and fire, primarily).

Minor Deity
Picture of Bernard
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's a very different thing, because it's funded a tax that pays for many things ... fire, police, schools, libraries, and other public services. Maybe you don't benefit from schools as much, maybe you benefit from libraries more. And who can say who benefits most from police, or fire protection?

Who can say who benefits most from roads? A police car or ambulance is of little use to non-drivers if the roads are no good, so there is an argument to be made that the gas tax should be written away and added to the same tax that funds fire, police, schools, libraries, etc. Non-drivers depend upon other drivers for a great many services.

On the other hand, if the gas tax stays (which it will, obviously), I say it's a double standard for childless people to pay as much for schools as people with children. Not that I resent paying school taxes because I think it's a good investment. The same way I think non-drivers are investing in their own preservation and safety by helping to fund roads.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Who can say who benefits most from roads?

That seems pretty easy.

Everyone benefits from truck delivery. The use of roads is the smallest part of the cost of fire safety and police.

However, people who don't drive clearly don't benefit as much. Some, in fact, may have made choices about where to live precisely so they didn't have to drive. Conversely, some people opt for long driving commutes in order to reduce their house purchase price (and, by the same token, their property taxes). If you live in NYC, as you once did, many people use mass transit exclusively (and pay through the nose for it), and don't need a car. It's hard to argue that a NYC resident is as dependent on roads, and uses them as much, as the resident of a suburban town without train service.

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Steve Miller
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Or maybe not. Do you want to be surrounded by a bunch of stupid children?

Life is short. Play with your dog.

Posts: 34975 | Location: Hooterville, OH | Registered: 23 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
Broadening the tax base for schools, beyond just the users, plays an important redistribution function. In fact we should broaden it even beyond localities.

Most people find children a more appropriate focus of redistribution efforts than drivers. I’ll bet including you, Steve.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33801 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
Wait, wait, wait.

Electric vehicle don't pay gas taxes. True.

But electric vehicles use electricity, which means their owners pay all sorts of fees and surcharges through their electric bills. They aren't directly paying for roads, but they are definitely paying their fare share.

What am I missing?

If, however, an owner of an electric vehicle never charges it at home, the owner's electric bill won't reflect taxes and surcharges associated with the electric bill. So . . . if there is a need to have electric vehicle owners pay their fair share, simply levy a tax on the electricity used at public charging stations.

You know all those public charging stations in garages and parking lots, etc.? I had no idea you had to pay to use them! So yeah, just add a surcharge there.

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had no idea you had to pay to use them!

Oh, I didn't know this either! How does that work, do drivers have to register and use a CC?

Are there any free charging stations?

Also, I've always wondered if it's possible for some trouble-making passerby to unplug a charging car. It seems like that would be a kind of vandalism just waiting to happen, though maybe not?
/threaddrift

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18569 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post