well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Tell me about Instagram

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me about Instagram
 Login/Join

Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted
I’m sure this is OK Boomer material, but here goes anyway.

I was looking for concert tickets a few months ago and found that the only way to buy them was via Instagram. I don’t recall formally setting up an Instagram account, but it seems I have some sort of access — although I don’t have the app and don’t visit the site.

But I keep getting notices that I have dozens of “followers” there. Which seems odd because I have no real presence there. I never post anything.

I am on Facebook, which I know is related.

What am I supposed to do?

--------------------------------
“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
Another OK Boomer here. I'm not on FB or Instagram, so can't help.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37885 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
What do the notices look like? Are you getting them on facebook? Or in a text or email? Sometimes instagram tells me someone I follow on instagram is also on facebook (they are both owned by Meta). So it’s suggesting I friend them on facebook. Is it possible facebook is telling you you have friends who are also on instagram?

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20452 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I am getting notices in regular email that “Xxxx and 26 other people are following you on Instagram”. Then it lists a few of them. To see than all I would have to log into Instagram. Of the 6 listed I already knew 5 from Facebook.

It’s just interesting to be followed when I posted no content.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13811 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
I am getting notices in regular email that “Xxxx and 26 other people are following you on Instagram”. Then it lists a few of them. To see than all I would have to log into Instagram. Of the 6 listed I already knew 5 from Facebook.

It’s just interesting to be followed when I posted no content.

If people are following you on Facebook then they might be getting you in their suggested follow list. Many people (myself included!) will follow folks they know on instagram even if they don’t have content, as long as they recognize the person. Do any of the followers on Instagram look like people you already know through Facebook?

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4091 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
Wonder if it’s a scam email trying to get you to click on a link?

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20452 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
Wonder if it’s a scam email trying to get you to click on a link?

No, it’s real. It says it came from Meta. No funny links.

Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
I have an Instagram account that I use infrequently. I can never get the notifications to work, so I don't see when people follow me. When I log in, though, there are usually a few people I know, and a few obvious bots and trolls. (I can tell the bots and trolls because they either have a first name followed by a bunch of numbers or they are men in late middle age whose names are two first names (James George or Thomas Henry) and who claim to be Army generals or tech CEOs.

It's gotta be an algorithm thing. I follow back the people who I know or who look real, and I ignore the generals and CEOs seeking my favor.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15510 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
men in late middle age whose names are two first names (James George or Thomas Henry) and who claim to be Army generals or tech CEOs.

I get friend requests from those "guys" on FB all the time! The accounts are so funny (and so, so easy to spot as fake). They are always so perfectly handsome, and yes, with the improbable names and far-too-perfect jobs etc.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18440 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:
men in late middle age whose names are two first names (James George or Thomas Henry) and who claim to be Army generals or tech CEOs.

I get friend requests from those "guys" on FB all the time! The accounts are so funny (and so, so easy to spot as fake). They are always so perfectly handsome, and yes, with the improbable names and far-too-perfect jobs etc.

And they’re usually widowers, with an adorable child! Don’t you just want to help out? Ughhhh. I get those all the time too. Block, or block and report, depending on. how egregious.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9799 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unrepentant Dork
Gadfly
Picture of dolmansaxlil
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShiroKuro:
quote:

An acquaintance of mine has had his image used to make dozens (possibly hundreds) of these accounts. I first remember him talking about at AT LEAST 5 years ago and the accounts are still popping up. All with the same basic structure…widowed, often in a professional job. I have had people with his image try to friend me at least twice over the years. I’ve also had several people try to friend me with a different guy’s photo (but different names etc).

"Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst." ~ Henri Cartier-Bresson

Posts: 4091 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
An acquaintance of mine has had his image used to make dozens (possibly hundreds) of these accounts.

He must be very handsome then. WhoMe

Jokes aside, it's really awful though, to have your photo stolen and used like that!

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18440 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post