well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Mutual Drunken Sex Leads To Expulsion

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mutual Drunken Sex Leads To Expulsion
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted
https://reason.com/2019/08/01/...all-student-lawsuit/

I have a few concerns here.

First of all, if both parties were drunk, why is only one held responsible for sexual assault? Was there a finding that the guy wasn't drunk?

Second, what about due process? The "don't worry about witnesses, because you aren't allowed to introduce any" bit is alarming. And why ignore exculpatory evidence?

Third, the notion that asserting your right to appeal is evidence of higher culpability is just wrong. I understand that remorse is one of the factors used in sentencing, but you really shouldn't punish someone for exercising the right to appeal, if they think the judgment was wrong.

I'll be interested to read about this one if it makes it to trial.

Posts: 45764 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
Agree with pretty much everything Quirt says above.
The erosion of rights to due process is worrying.

--------------------------------
www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12698 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Hope the guy's lawsuit is successful.
Why only $75,000?

--------------------------------
Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25727 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
First of all, if both parties were drunk, why is only one held responsible for sexual assault? Was there a finding that the guy wasn't drunk?

If anything, I would think the initiator is more culpable, even if both "agree." Determining who initiates things can be rather difficult, of course.

Posts: 12565 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I skimmed it.

The article is based on the man's complaint, so I wouldn't call it an unbiased view.

That he is only seeking $75,000 indicates something is off.

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
quote:
The article is based on the man's complaint, so I wouldn't call it an unbiased view.

I think we all stipulated that.

Posts: 12565 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I don't know if everyone stipulated that.

It sounds like some folks are off to the races already . . .

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cindysphinx:
I don't know if everyone stipulated that.

It sounds like some folks are off to the races already . . .

I would imagine you understand what the word "if" means.

Posts: 45764 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Daniel
posted Hide Post
I'm certainly no expert on Title IX, so I'll have to leave that discussion to our lawyers and academics.

But, I questioned the reporting after reading the first paragraph.

"Should continuing to assert your innocence be seen as a sign of guilt? After issuing a three-semester suspension to football player "John Doe" for sexual assault, Carleton College in Minnesota gave him the option of appealing the verdict. He did so, to no avail."

According to this, after issuing the suspension, Carleton, "gave him the option of appealing the verdict."

This doesn't seem right to me. In other words, the reporting seems muddled. The appeal process would have been in place before the "trial."

The reporting does seem to be slightly biased in favor of John Doe.

Posts: 24769 | Registered: 31 March 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post