well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Are we up to discussing this here?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are we up to discussing this here?
 Login/Join

czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jon-nyc:
Its tough to get too worked up about what you are powerless to affect. This battle gets won or lost in Beijing. Anything we do personally is just about making ourselves feel good.

True. I would say getting worked up about is the opposite of what we should do. Personally I'm just grateful for the time I've had in the natural world. To me, climate catastrophe and mass extinction are nature at work. We were born to do what we do. All species are yoked to the same natural laws--we expand (if we can) until we deplete resources badly enough that we collapse. It's biology.

--------------------------------
fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21372 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué: Pretty much live in the present and appreciate small things.

The combination of Steve’s previous job issues/our frequent moves and both of my parents recent spirals into dementia has me doing just that. It’s the only way I’ve found to be happy.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20485 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jodi:
quote:
Originally posted by piqué: Pretty much live in the present and appreciate small things.

The combination of Steve’s previous job issues/our frequent moves and both of my parents recent spirals into dementia has me doing just that. It’s the only way I’ve found to be happy.

Comfort

Now if only I could get my kids to look for happiness this way; they’re pretty doom and gloom on the state of the world.

Bee Lady, we do our small part here, too. But what really needs to change are the corporate systems, and I don’t see that happening. Sure you can decline a straw at SBux, but that’s such a tiny drop in the bucket.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9815 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Big John
posted Hide Post
that was a book in a very unfortunate typeface with wide margins. I adjusted things and zoomed but then decided to read it later.

Another day in Paradise.

Posts: 3902 | Registered: 14 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gadfly
Picture of Big John
posted Hide Post
I'll look at your quotes and go back and look at the article. When you post something that long, there should be an opening discussion point, quote, callout etc. IMHO to guide people into the reading.

Another day in Paradise.

Posts: 3902 | Registered: 14 November 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big John:
that was a book in a very unfortunate typeface with wide margins. I adjusted things and zoomed but then decided to read it later.

When you first open the link there is a pop up that asks you if you want to read the article in a simplified format. If you click on that it reopens the page in a much easier to read format.

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21372 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
Started the essay, lost interest shortly after.
The children of my siblings are largely clueless.
Trying not to care about things I cannot control.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25746 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post