well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Twitter Allows Work-From-Home Permanently

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Twitter Allows Work-From-Home Permanently
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/a...c6be7e3396a59c10c95b

Commercial office space is going to take a big hit over time, many offices will convert to work-from-home, maybe with more conference rooms and hot desks.

Posts: 45741 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I think this is just one of many changes that we're going to see in how we live and work.

With the vulnerabilities that have become apparent in the food supply chain, I think some people will increasingly turn to local food suppliers for some items and that CSAs and related businesses may see in upswing in support.

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37898 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
Re WFH... I have always been someone who preferred *going* to work. While in grad school, I had an office with a dedicated desk, I could have worked anywhere, but I spent most of my time there. Since taking this position, in my dept many (probably most) faculty are not on campus on days when they're not teaching. I always was. I feel like I get more done there, and it does help with work/life balance, because even though I've had a dedicated room for my home office, up to now, that room wasn't what I thought of as my work space. There are lots of perks to working on campus, including see people (students and colleagues), taking my walking breaks around campus, access to the library, the ability to have a quick chat with someone instead of a protracted email exchange.... The list goes on.

Since we've gone online, I've adjusted to working from home and there are definitely some things I like about. For one thing, I have a better view from my home-office window than from my campus office.... But it seems to me that there are more minuses than pluses... One thing I notice a lot is that I don't move around nearly as much, even though I try to talk walking breaks etc.

The bigger issues is that my work/life balance has completely disappeared. And I HATE that aspect of it. I hope I will be able to get some of it back over time, but I've been quarantining and working from home for 9 weeks now (OMG) and I'm not optimistic.

We may be back to "on campus" instruction (in a modified form) in the fall, but I doubt that I will return to the habit of working in my campus office on days when I don't teach on campus, at least until there's a vaccine... It just seems like it will be smartest to limit as much as possible the times when I'm away from home.

But I feel very deeply what I've lost by losing my physical connection to a workplace that is not inside my home. Frowner

--------------------------------
My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18472 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post