well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    What's Your Reusable Water Bottle Situation?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's Your Reusable Water Bottle Situation?
 Login/Join

Beatification Candidate
Picture of big al
posted Hide Post
My water consumption habits have always been pretty simple. I used to lie on my belly to drink spring water from a spring on the back of the farm where I grew up.

When I moved to the city, I initially couldn't drink the water because of the chlorination, but once I became adapted to that, I just drank tap water.

In recent years, the water I drink at home comes from our well and is usually taken from the dispenser on the front of the refrigerator, usually with some ice.

When I was out walking before my knee issues, I would take a one liter Nalgene bottle with a screw cap to quench my thirst.

The one place I drank more exotic water was in Brazil, where there was some risk in drinking tap water outside our apartment. There, my favorite was Caxambu, a live mineral water. In the apartment, we relied on a filter to purify our tap water.

Big Al

--------------------------------
Money seems to buy the most happiness when you give it away.

Why does everything have to be so complicated, all in the name of convenience. -ShiroKuro

A lifetime of experience will change a person. If it doesn't, then you're already dead inside. -MarkJ

Posts: 7413 | Location: Western PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Does This Avatar Make My Butt Look Big?

Minor Deity
Picture of Cindysphinx
posted Hide Post
I also drink tap water. My refrigerator takes purifiers, but I refuse to pay for them.

I also have one of those jugs where you buy a filter and let the water run through the filter. The problem is that I am so very lazy that I never put water in it.

When we buy bagged ice at the supermarket for a party or whatever, I love having the leftover ice. I can taste the difference between those ice cubes and the ones my (unpurified) refrigerator makes.

Because

Posts: 19764 | Location: A cluttered house in Metro D.C. | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
twit
Beatification Candidate
Picture of kluurs
posted Hide Post
As might be expected the Yeti vs. Hydroflask situation has been discussed on Reddit.

I need to join the revolution as I still use environmentally unsound regular water bottles and have a huge supply of the cheap plastic ones so popular about 10-15 years ago.

Posts: 9598 | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by QuirtEvans:
I mostly drink coffee and sparkling water. I do have quite a lot of stainless steel bottles collected over the years. It’s probably worth investing in a Soda Stream, but I just lug carbonated water home from Costco, generally.

We’ll see how my habits change when my office is up two steep flights of stairs from the kitchen (and when there is no water source on that floor).

when is the big move?

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
czarina
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of piqué
posted Hide Post
i have had to get a lot more intentional about drinking water. my BUN/creatinine numbers came back high on my last doc visit and she says it is because I don't drink enough water.

I don't think coffee counts, because it is a diuretic. I almost never drink just plain water. It usually is sparkling water, or if plain, I squeeze lime into it, or add apple cider vinegar, or add electrolyte powder, or make my favorite refreshing beverage:

1/2 glass of sparkling water over ice
1/4 glass of pure pomegranate juice
1/4 glass of ginger kombucha
1/4 of a lime, squeezed and dropped in

i bet it would be pretty good with some gin or vodka added, but I haven't tried that, and I suspect that would negate the purpose (hydration).

fear is the thief of dreams

Posts: 21351 | Registered: 18 May 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't think coffee counts, because it is a diuretic.

Seems that might be another myth.

https://www.npr.org/sections/t...hydration-and-memory

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37942 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dolmansaxlil:
quote:
I mostly drink coffee and sparkling water. I do have quite a lot of stainless steel bottles collected over the years. It’s probably worth investing in a Soda Stream, but I just lug carbonated water home from Costco, generally.

We’ll see how my habits change when my office is up two steep flights of stairs from the kitchen (and when there is no water source on that floor).

We have had a soda stream for about a year and a half and I LOVE IT. I only use it for sparkling water. No flavourings.

Thanks, that's what I'd do, too.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of QuirtEvans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by piqué:
quote:

when is the big move?

It depends on renovations, but hopefully March 2024.

Posts: 45748 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Vacation to Post
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
I tried multiple kinds over the years, but because I always put a squirt of Mio or some other flavor enhancer in they all either start to rust or start to show signs of mold on the inside.

So, I buy a 1 liter plastic water bottle and then reuse it until it starts to get grungy looking. Usually 6 to 12 weeks of reuse. Then I toss it and buy another one.

Posts: 1534 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
I have a kitchen cabinet shelf full of water bottles. We seldom use them anymore but if I ever get back on the bike, which I should, I’ll use them. Also when going on walks.

My wife likes to buy SmartWater, and we keep some in the car and in our bedroom, where there’s no tap water nearby. The local tap water gets funky if it stands around for a while but the SmartWater doesn’t.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13814 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
knitterati
Beatification Candidate
Picture of AdagioM
posted Hide Post
I should note that I like water bottles vs open glasses at home because I spill things! I also like thermal coffee mugs with lids, because I spill things. Yep.

When we replaced our refrigerator, I wanted a fridge with an ice maker, but it wasn’t offered unless it had a water dispenser, too. The filtered water is even better than our excellent Portland Oregon tap water, and now I’m super spoiled.

http://pdxknitterati.com

Posts: 9801 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 06 June 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post