well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Antibody tests?

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Antibody tests?
 Login/Join

Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted
I realize this varies from state to state, but all the same what is your (pl) experience in obtaining antibody tests? It seems to have gotten easy to obtain positive/negative diagnostic tests but around here anyhow, testing for antibodies is elusive.

I can't find anywhere to get one (central PA).
What about where you are? Wonder what insurance and state regs have to say about how to be tested for antibodies.

That's what I most want to know about my COVID status. Seems overall the most informative for my purposes.

--------------------------------
The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I got an antibody test at a LabCorp office back in May. The test was free but I had to pay $10 for a blood draw.

I initiated it myself, which is the option on the left on this page:

https://www.labcorp.com/corona...iduals/antibody-test

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Amanda
posted Hide Post
Thank you, wtg!
Hope LabCorps works around here under comparable conditions and that my doctor can order this test.

The most dangerous word in the language is "obvious"

Posts: 14392 | Location: PA | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
You don't need your doctor to get the LabCorp antibody test; you can set up the appointment yourself and pay $10. But then you're limited to going to a LabCorp site for the blood draw. I don't know where they are located relative to you.

Quest Diagnostics also does antibody tests. Not exactly sure how they work and whether they'll bill the cost of the fee to insurance.

https://questdirect.questdiagn...a6-b17b-7bad949dcb57

Kroger pharmacies are doing a rapid test. Not sure how accurate it is compared to the LabCorp and Quest versions, or if Kroger has stores in your area.

https://www.kroger.com/health/pharmacy/covid-care

And I thought of something else....If you donate blood, you get the antibody test automatically.

Good luck!

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37873 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
I get them monthly at labcorp, since I'm there getting blood drawn anyway. I've probably had 5 of them now.

Your doctor can fax them an rx, or as wtg said you can basically get an online rx from them for $10.

I'll keep getting them with my monthly labs indefinitely, it'll be interesting to see how long I show an antibody response post vaccination.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Jon, your antibody test will still show up negative after you get vaccinated (so my wife tells me). The virus has a number of proteins on its surface. Antibodies latch onto those proteins and call in the reinforcements that then kill the virus.

The current antibody test tests for the presence of antibodies to one particular protein on the surface of the virus. The vaccination stimulates the body to produce antibodies to a DIFFERENT protein on the surface of the virus. Having any of those antibodies is sufficient to kill the virus.

So getting your monthly tests that identify whether or not you have antibodies to protein A won't tell you whether your vaccination shot, which is producing antibodies to protein B, is still working. The antibody test is designed to tell you whether you have been naturally infected, not immunized.

Posts: 12529 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jon-nyc
posted Hide Post
PD - my understanding is the current tests won't detect it but there are several quantitative IgG tests in trials now that should do so. Roche has one, Labcorp has one. Maybe others.

If you think looting is bad wait until I tell you about civil forfeiture.

Posts: 33797 | Location: On the Hudson | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"I've got morons on my team."

Mitt Romney
Minor Deity
Picture of Piano*Dad
posted Hide Post
Ah. And wife just forwarded an email from a big area hospital group (Sentara) that confirms what you said.

Posts: 12529 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
The Red Cross does antibody tests on donated blood, and they let you the results. So that’s where I have been getting my antibody tests.

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12688 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post