well-temperedforum.groupee.net    The Well-Tempered Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Off Key    Out with a whimper

Moderators: QuirtEvans, pianojuggler, wtg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Out with a whimper
 Login/Join

Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted
What a pathetic soul....

quote:
President Trump is considering a made-for-TV grand finale: a White House departure on Marine One and final Air Force One flight to Florida for a political rally opposite Joe Biden's inauguration, sources familiar with the discussions tell Axios.

Why it matters: The former network star is privately discussing using his waning powers as commander in chief to order up the exit he wants after dissing Biden by refusing to concede the election, welcome him to the White House or commit to attending his inauguration.

The big picture: The Trump talk could create a split-screen moment: the outgoing president addressing a roaring crowd in an airport hangar while the incoming leader is sworn in before a socially distanced audience outside the Capitol, as NBC News first reported.

https://www.axios.com/trump-bi...0a-ae29cd5c7be1.html

--------------------------------
We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37997 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pinta & the Santa Maria
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of Nina
posted Hide Post
Is he allowed to use AF1? Not the point, I realize.

Personally, I'd like his departure basharoo to get ZERO media coverage. Zero. No split screen, no cutaway.

Just go away.

Posts: 35384 | Location: West: North and South! | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
(self-titled) semi-posting lurker
Minor Deity
Picture of ShiroKuro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Is he allowed to use AF1? Not the point, I realize.

Well, no, this is relevant because if the answer is "no, he can't use AF1" then it sort of diminishes the visual impact of his desired exit.

My piano recordings at Box.Net: https://app.box.com/s/j4rgyhn72uvluemg1m6u

Posts: 18604 | Location: not in Japan any more | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
After the swearing-in ceremony, the outgoing president gets a ride to whatever his home will be on the plane that is AF1, except that it's no longer referred to as AF1 at that point (which I understand is a call signal rather than a specific plane).

He's president until noon on January 20th, so if he wants to fly to Florida that morning, seems like he's entitled.

Either way it's the same plane and provides the same visual impact.

I'm with Nina. No coverage.

We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love… and then we return home. - Australian Aboriginal proverb

Bazootiehead-in-training

Posts: 37997 | Location: Somewhere in the middle | Registered: 19 January 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Foregoing Practicing to Post
Minor Deity
Picture of RealPlayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg

It's going to be a test for our media.

“It's hard to win an argument with a smart person. It's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person." -- Bill Murray

Posts: 13825 | Location: The outer burrows | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of CHAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
quote:
Originally posted by wtg

The grade for that test will be no surprise.

Several people have eaten my cooking and survived.

Posts: 25730 | Location: Still living at 9000 feet in the High Rockies of Colorado | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
Any USAF aircraft that has the President aboard (while he or she is President) uses the call sign "Air Force One". So, it would not be used if I gave her a ride in a Piper Cub.

The airplanes themselves are SAM28000 and SAM29000 when the President is not on board.

I hope the Air Force uses an appropriate call sign for I-1's last trip aboard. Something like "Loser 45" or "Impeached Number 3" would be appropriate.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30039 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of jodi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RealPlayer:
quote:
Originally posted by wtg

I agree. I’m a bit sick of much of the media, because all they do is fan whatever flames they can find. Sometimes I wish they would just STFU.

Smiler Jodi

Posts: 20479 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of wtg
posted Hide Post
I think CBS, ABC, and NBC are likely to skip coverage of Himself if he pulls this stunt. They were routinely cutting away when the coronavirus task force meetings would drift off-topic (and getting called out by Fox and others for it).

I watch ABC and it looks like they're making the editorial decision to give him less air time.

Stories about him are fading on the nightly news; any election-related coverage is the third or fourth topic in the broadcast and it's pretty brief.

But then I'm an optimist....

Bazootiehead-in-training

Minor Deity
Picture of Doug
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wtg:
What a pathetic soul....

quote:
President Trump is considering a made-for-TV grand finale: a White House departure on Marine One and final Air Force One flight to Florida for a political rally opposite Joe Biden's inauguration, sources familiar with the discussions tell Axios.

Why it matters: The former network star is privately discussing using his waning powers as commander in chief to order up the exit he wants after dissing Biden by refusing to concede the election, welcome him to the White House or commit to attending his inauguration.

The big picture: The Trump talk could create a split-screen moment: the outgoing president addressing a roaring crowd in an airport hangar while the incoming leader is sworn in before a socially distanced audience outside the Capitol, as NBC News first reported.

https://www.axios.com/trump-bi...0a-ae29cd5c7be1.html

This almost makes him sound like ...kind of a jerk.

Posts: 10334 | Registered: 20 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Axtremus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:

I hope the Air Force uses an appropriate call sign for I-1's last trip aboard. Something like "Loser 45" or "Impeached Number 3" would be appropriate.
Just shorten that a bit to “Imp #3” so even he can pronounce it. Big Grin

www.PianoRecital.org -- my piano recordings -- China Tune album

Posts: 12701 | Registered: 01 December 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serial origamist
Has Achieved Nirvana
Picture of pianojuggler
posted Hide Post
So, if he's going to have them roll a gold escalator up to the plane and he can do rerun of his "rapists and criminals" shtick to announce his run in 2024 at the same time as President Biden's Inauguration... it would be a shame if the airplane landed an hour or two late, maybe due to weather or getting stuck in a holding pattern or something.

pj, citizen-poster, unless specifically noted otherwise.

mod-in-training.

pj@ermosworld∙com

All types of erorrs fixed while you wait.

Posts: 30039 | Registered: 27 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Minor Deity
Picture of Mary Anna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Axtremus:
quote:
Originally posted by pianojuggler:

Just shorten that a bit to “Imp #3” so even he can pronounce it. Big Grin

And possibly be able to spell it.

Mary Anna Evans
http://www.maryannaevans.com
MaryAnna@ermosworld.com

Posts: 15521 | Location: Florida | Registered: 22 April 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post